Hello, I'm looking for divers to take part in my dissertation project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done.

We don't live in a perfect world. We do the best with the information we have.

Thanks Captain Obvious. 🙄 I am aware of that but in some of those situations, I would have the information needed, which is not stated in the scenarios, to make those calls. Yes, the world isn't perfect and we do the best with what we have but I believe in order to get a better response to each situation, certain things needed to be thought out more.

I was just trying to help the guy.

Thanks Captain Obvious. 🙄 I am aware of that but in some of those situations, I would have the information needed, which is not stated in the scenarios, to make those calls. Yes, the world isn't perfect and we do the best with what we have but I believe in order to get a better response to each situation, certain things needed to be thought out more.

I was just trying to help the guy.

I am interested in what further information you would need to make a risk assesment in each of the 5 scenarios. For instance, the first scenario the sea state was such that I don't believe most shops would risk their boat and crew, and it would make for dangerous entry and exit....the practical/safe course of action would be to not conduct the dive and find a different activity for the day...I am not sure what other info would be needed to make a call along those lines, but I am curious of your thought on this.

-Z

I am interested in what further information you would need to make a risk assesment in each of the 5 scenarios. For instance, the first scenario the sea state was such that I don't believe most shops would risk their boat and crew, and it would make for dangerous entry and exit....the practical/safe course of action would be to not conduct the dive and find a different activity for the day...I am not sure what other info would be needed to make a call along those lines, but I am curious of your thought on this.

-Z
We probably should not discuss the survey, so as to keep from biasing any responses.

-Z
Good question. I agree that the with the information given, it seems like one should scrub the dive. However, what is the size of the boat we are using and how many crew are onboard? If it is just the Captain and one crew member, I am not doing the dive for sure. However, if the boat was a bit bigger and there were more crew members that could be spotters, then myself and my dive buddy would have a conversation. Also, what size is this buoy the guide has? Is it an SMB and if so, is it over 3 meters? The waves are 2.5 meters so it would need to be larger to be effective as I feel the biggest risk here is the fast currents.

Along that line, do myself and my buddy have the proper SMBs to be effective as each diver would need it in case of separation due to the currents.

As you can see, there are many factors left out that could determine if you make this world famous dive that you have traveled abroad to do and clearly spent a lot of money on. Is my life or that of my buddy worth it, if course not but with proper experience, the conditions one sees as being acceptable changes when on a big trip. This is of course assuming , which I hate to do, that everyone involved is prepared.

This same scenario asks what my buddy and I would do. Does this assume the boat Captain and crew, guide included, has said it is ok to dive? I have to assume they have since that information is not available.

The more I look at the question, the more I see required to make the most informed decision.

We probably should not discuss the survey, so as to keep from biasing any responses.
You are right and I can delete my last response if everyone thinks it is the best course of action.

Good question. I agree that the with the information given, it seems like one should scrub the dive. However, what is the size of the boat we are using and how many crew are onboard? If it is just the Captain and one crew member, I am not doing the dive for sure. However, if the boat was a bit bigger and there were more crew members that could be spotters, then myself and my dive buddy would have a conversation. Also, what size is this buoy the guide has? Is it an SMB and if so, is it over 3 meters? The waves are 2.5 meters so it would need to be larger to be effective as I feel the biggest risk here is the fast currents.

Along that line, do myself and my buddy have the proper SMBs to be effective as each diver would need it in case of separation due to the currents.

As you can see, there are many factors left out that could determine if you make this world famous dive that you have traveled abroad to do and clearly spent a lot of money on. Is my life or that of my buddy worth it, if course not but with proper experience, the conditions one sees as being acceptable changes when on a big trip. This is of course assuming , which I hate to do, that everyone involved is prepared.

This same scenario asks what my buddy and I would do. Does this assume the boat Captain and crew, guide included, has said it is ok to dive? I have to assume they have since that information is not available.

The more I look at the question, the more I see required to make the most informed decision.

As a retired naval officer I spent plenty of time on ships in 25 knot winds and 8 foot swells/waves or more.....I don't care how big the dive boat is or how many crew members you have, that sea state is not going to make for a good or safe time on or in the ocean. As a dive professional, the way the scenario is presented, I would inform my dive buddy that I choose to not go out even if the dive center was willing to take their boat out.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom