Hello from Texas (going to San Diego soon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As said in another reply, La Jolla shores is probably the best bet for getting wet here in January. Occassionally, this time of year we get strong Santa Ana conditions that can flatten the surf and improve viz up to a wopping 15-20ft. Generally, though you should expect 10-15ft viz, 55-59df water temp (colder at depth) and 60-65df air temp.

There is some good diving to be had around San Diego, although shore diving here is not for the faint of heart (average 2-4ft surf, 8-10 second intervals) then a long surface swim. Minimum exposure protection is a high quality, good fitting 7mm wetsuit. Many here dive dry -- especially from Nov-April.

For local boat trips to Wreck Ally (no real wrecks -- just artificial reefs), Point Loma Kelp beds or Los Coronados islands, you might check out www.loisann.com and www.blueescape.com.

Happy diving!

algal bloom:
I'm in the process of shopping for a 7 mm farmer john comb. I figure, if nothing else, I'll do some snorkeling.

You surprised me, Nathan. From your original post, I figured you for a Cozumel Vacation Diver who wouldn't be interested in Calf waters, even in warmer months. You may have the makings of a Real Diver afterall. :medal:

I'm not a F-John fan, as I like a jump suit, perhaps layered with an additional shorty, but they're okay. You'll need a neoprene hood, gloves, and booties, too, you know?

Let us know how it goes, will ya'?? I'll be passing thru DFW several times this year on dive trips, if you'd like to tag along sometime, i.e. Florida Keys wrecks in March, Belize in June, real war wrecks off of NC in October, to name a few.

don

Hey dandydon!

I have never been to Cozumel, actually. I would love to be a "several times a month" diver. Actually, I'd like to sign up to help maintain Aquarena Springs. I think once I complete my set of my own gear (which my wife is letting me do since San Diego will almost be like a very cheap (free air fare, car, and hotel) and long dive trip) I will be able to go several times a month. I'd been doing the CSSP polar bear dive if I knew my wetsuit would be here in time. That may be a great place to check all of my gear before I take it to San Diego.

Just a note on the farmer john combo: I've borrowed a friend's several times for Lake Travis deep dives and really liked the extra thick torso.

I'm an ecologist who won't be scared away by a little (or a lot of) cold water! :) I remember days in college seining rivers for fish population studies in the middle of December and January. I just love aquatic life too much!

Anyway, I so excited about San Diego! I may have to skip training for the new job and just dive. Of course, funds would run out quite quickly! I'm looking forward to meeting some of you San Diegans!

algal bloom

Nathan, you ever dived in the ocean before? If not, you'll need to discuss that with your San Diego hosts.

Again, let us know how it goes. A nice Trip Report would be fun...

don

I just got my Henderson 7 mm farmer john/jacket combo. I'm really looking forward to San Diego diving. I'll be letting you guys know my iteneray when I get it. I may be ready to dive by January 10. I'll keep you guys posted.

algal bloom

Hi everyone!

I just thought I'd let everyone know that I've been in San Diego for about 3 weeks now. I have made 4 dives so far. It seems that the limiting factor is the swells that come. Water temp. has been around 54 but it really isn't cold at all with the right thermal protection. I've seen a lot of cool critters that we don't see in Texas lakes! I've done most of my diving with Dan the Man but also did a dive with CrazyScuba and they have been taking place at La Jolla Shores. Dan and I saw several hundred squid mating a couple of weeks ago. I'm loving it out here. If any other South Cal divers want to go out let me know! It looks like my stay will be extended to the end of February. Later!

algal bloom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom