Hello from Tennessee!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. Sounds like you haven't dove yet. Hope you richly enjoy it. A note of caution that you may already be aware of. Lake visibility is often terrible compared to popular mainstream oceanic dive destinations. You'll hear divers talk about 'the viz.' often, which I was taught was an estimate of the distance underwater at which one can recognize another diver as such. Not sure if that's how everyone else conceptualizes it, but it's how I learned.

In Tennessee, I've dove at Dale Hollow Lake twice, with a group, basically hanging out on pontoon boats eating hot dogs, socializing and diving off and on. It was fun. But I'd have the viz. at maybe 10 feet or so? And that's a lot better than some places. Put it this way...ever been in a boat on a lake, leaned over the side and thrust your hand into the water? In some places, a foot deep and you can't see your hand.

I just don't want you to get an unfortunately surprise when you can't visually survey a large area at once. In a local quarry (Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort in Hopkinsville, KY), viz. varies, but 30' or so isn't uncommon and sometimes it's better. So some freshwater sites can be good - including some springs in Florida.

Richard.

Jake24 welcome to the forum. I'm also in East Tennessee and just got certified last summer. You should definitely get certified before diving without an instructor. Also, you can actually get a decent set of very basic gear (BCD, regulator/gauges, basic computer) for about $600 new (including basic computer), so even with $450 for the cert you're still around a grand. Obviously you'd also need mask/fins/snorkel and possibly wetsuit depending on when/where you dive.

One thing I'll add is that once you get the Open Water cert you really should not be diving alone, but always with a buddy who is also certified. There is separate training to get Solo Diver certified, and while this may not be legally required it is a very good idea -- and also note that Solo divers should carry a small (pony) tank with separate regulator so that they have a backup breathing source.

Welcome, buy a quality mask fin and snorkel and see if you enjoy the sport when you take the beginner class. If you do enjoy it some of your equipment purchases will be targeted to the type of diving you may want to pursue. I’m sure most have initially bought gear and soon upgraded or wasn’t the best for what they wanted to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom