Hello from Rome, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the Board JustJeff. I also dive in upstate NY but mostly in Lake George. Not been to Great Sacandaga Lake but sounds interesteing, gotta figure out where it is, may be worth a trip :wink:
I was happy to find Delta Divers this year as they are the only place in the area that can service my reg! Did a great job.

smilies-35311.png

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

don
bananawave.gif

Welcome, I'm new to this board and surprised to see where you are from. I grew up there and left after high school. I hope the diving is good up there in the lakes. Have a great time.

What are some good finger lakes dive destinations?

We dive Skeanatlas Lake. There are several sites, some of the favorite sites are the Log Jam , Deco Wall, Stag Horn, The Mail Boat and Lourds Camp

The Log Jam is a pile of logs that sunk when they were floating them down the lake as part of a logging operation.

Deco Wall is a deep wall dive. Remember these lakes were formed by glaciers and you can see the cuts.

Stag horn, aka White Rock. Is one of the few areas around the lake where they find lots of fossilized stag horn coral. It is thought that possible the area was under salt water and when they glaciers came by it destroyed the eco system and killed the coral. or it was dragged in by the glaciers.

The Mail boat is a the remains, mostly ribs ,from what I have been told (Haven't made that dive yet) of an old boat that was used to deliver mail to the camps on the lake.

Lourds Camp - there are several sunken things there and most are roped off.

Ofcourse there are more and we are also within an easy drive to the St. Lawrence...

:colouredsmilies: Welcome to ScubaBoard!! :colouredsmilies:

Just wanted to make my first post. I've been diving for about 7 years now. Mostly upstate NY. Gotta love the visibility:shakehead: , or just go crazy trying to stay with your buddy.

I belong to the New York Dive Assoc. and my local shop is Delta Divers. Both good groups.

I dive mostly wet, 7mm, with a bunch of bottle collectors. Me I like to chase fish and see the wrecks and underwater structure we have. There's a great bridge between 30 and 50 ft in Great Sacandaga Lake to cut your teeth on dark and sometimes low viz conditions.

Would like to hear from anyone that has dove NY that I haven't met.

Hi Jeff, although I now live in the Boston area, I used to live in Rochester and that is where I learned to dive in 1990 and became an instructor while living there in 1999.
My checkout dives were in Canandaigua Lake and I have dived there many times. Have also dived in Seneca Lake, in Lake Erie and Lake Ontario (on the wreck of the St. Peter off Pultneyville and near Kingston and Picton Ontario). Have also dived on the St. Lawrence River in the Thousand Islands and Niagara River drift dives. The closest I have come to diving near you is Lake Champlain.

I am curious about the pic on your profile. It looks like it may have been taken at the NEDEG dive rally. I have always wanted to attend one of the rallies but have never had the chance.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom