Hello from a from a brand new Virginia diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackLagoon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are brand new to scuba, having earned our OW cards on the 8th of October. We just got our first set of personally owned gear, and are excited to see where this hobby goes as we learn our way through recreational diving.

Welcome from another Virginian! Scuba will take you far and wide. We've done some trips not too far from VA that were a blast, including Cayman and St. Croix. Hope you guys enjoy your new hobby!

Welcome from another Virginian! Scuba will take you far and wide. We've done some trips not too far from VA that were a blast, including Cayman and St. Croix. Hope you guys enjoy your new hobby!
Thanks for the welcome, our plans are to squeeze in a few more quarry dives before the water temps dip too low, then do the rainbow river drift dive in Florida and visit a spring or two this winter. Eventually when we build some skill, we plan to travel abroad and do some reef dives.

Your also not far(ish) from Morehead City, NC. Great diving there! The best wrecks are deep though, so you'll want a bit more experience.

Where are you in Va.? I'm in Nova Scotia, my brother lives in Chesapeake. Do you plan any ocean charters down there? He says it's a long boat trip out to the sites.

Where are you in Va.? I'm in Nova Scotia, my brother lives in Chesapeake. Do you plan any ocean charters down there? He says it's a long boat trip out to the sites.
We’re near Roanoke on the southwest corner of the state. No plans for charter dives until we have some basic skills practiced to the point they are second nature, buoyancy control, weighting/trim, gear familiarity, and gas planning being our primary concerns at the moment.

We were not big fans of the follow the leader approach to our OW training/dives. We both want to log some real time buddy diving together on our own gear on our own terms to practice what we’ve been introduced to but not mastered In OW.

AOW and specialties are on our near term radar as well, but some independent time underwater will come first.

You’re also not far(ish) from Morehead City, NC. Great diving there! The best wrecks are deep though, so you'll want a bit more experience.
The owner of our dive shop has bent our ear about Morehead City, will certainly be a place we visit once we get our skills and certifications up to that level.

@BlackLagoon, you'll love it. You're taking the smart approach with respect to skill development! Most of the wrecks out of Morehead City are in the 110'-130' range. However, there are two sites the operators commonly visit that are in the 60-70' range (Indra and JJF tugs). These shallower sites don't normally have the awesome sand tiger sharks on them, but they are still fun dives. They would be a good place to start when you're ready for an ocean charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom