Hello from a from a brand new Virginia diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, @BlackLagoon. Looks like in Lynchburg, I’m one of your closest neighbors who’s active on this board. Did you get your class from Aqua Trek or Diving Enterprises? I’ve had dealings with both and each has its strengths.
Where did you do your open water? Phoenixville seems to be one of the favorites for both of them, but that would be a little cold in October, I would think.
BTW, if you need to use any gear as you get kitted out, let me know. I’m aging out I fear, and I’ve got more gear than I’m likely to need.
🐸

Hello, @BlackLagoon. Looks like in Lynchburg, I’m one of your closest neighbors who’s active on this board. Did you get your class from Aqua Trek or Diving Enterprises? I’ve had dealings with both and each has its strengths.
Where did you do your open water? Phoenixville seems to be one of the favorites for both of them, but that would be a little cold in October, I would think.
BTW, if you need to use any gear as you get kitted out, let me know. I’m aging out I fear, and I’ve got more gear than I’m likely to need.
🐸
We did our training through Diving Enterprises, our checkout dives were at Gray Quarry which was fine @73 degrees the whole way down. We kind of jumped in with both feet on the gear end, we each have the bug, and Ken made us a very fair deal on a list of items that is a bit overkill, but will give us room to grow in skill and capabiliy. That said, if you get into a spot where you are looking to offload gear, tanks and hardgear in particular, you have our ear.

Ken is good to deal with and his shop is a sort of toy box for grownups. Congratulations on getting off to a good start. I have to admit though, I’m not familiar with Gray Quarry, but it sounds like a place I should learn more about. Where is it... out your way in SW VA? I hope we can dive together some day if you don’t mind havin’ an old geezer along. 🧙‍♂️+ :clearmask:
Regards,
🐸

Ken is good to deal with and his shop is a sort of toy box for grownups. Congratulations on getting off to a good start. I have to admit though, I’m not familiar with Gray Quarry, but it sounds like a place I should learn more about. Where is it... out your way in SW VA? I hope we can dive together some day if you don’t mind havin’ an old geezer along. 🧙‍♂️+ :clearmask:
Regards,
🐸
Gray quarry is just across the state line in Tennessee, just before you get to Johnson City. It's smaller than lake Phoenix, but it is aerated, so there is no thermocline. They have some neat sunken stuff to look at, and the paddlefish are awesome. There is no air or other services at the site, but Smokey Mountain Divers is just down the road, and worth a visit. We spent the weekend in Bristol, which made for a fun getaway. About a 3.5 hour dive for us from the far side of Franklin county near the dam on Smith Mountain lake.

...” a fair deal on a list of items that is a bit overkill”, but will give us room to grow in skill and capabiliy. That said, if you get into a spot where you are looking to offload gear, tanks and hardgear in particular, you have our ear.
“Overkill”? There’s no such thing as too much gear, or too much air in your tank to start a dive! 😉. At this point I’m trying to get my niece back into diving after she took a twenty year layoff to get married and have kids. Her youngest is old enough now for a Jr Cert. now and they all three swim like fish. With any luck, I’ll be looking for more gear fairly soon, rather than actually getting rid of any. I’ll keep you in mind, though.
thanks for the info on Gray Quarry. I have to admit that’s a new on for me. I like the warm temps and the idea of seeing paddlefish… something new for me. What kind of visibility (in feet) did you have? I’ll have to add Smokey Mtn Divers to my list to visit. I’m not yelling, I don’t know how to get out of boldface for some reason. 🤪

Regards,
🐸

“Overkill”? There’s no such thing as too much gear, or too much air in your tank to start a dive!... What kind of visibility (in feet) did you have?
🐸
We've pursued enough hobbies that we've learned to just accept the cost of admission for decent gear from well supported brands. Figure we can run our dive computers till they are no longer supported by Garmin at which point they will be hopelessly out of date. Our tanks and regs should last the rest of our lives, and the balance is gravy that will get us started in decent style, and eventually morphe as we gain experience and further learn our needs, wants, and desires underwater.

The quarry was very busy last weekend, two big groups of OW, an instructor class, a rescue class, and folks there for fun. On Saturday the visibility was great on our first two dives. The last dive Saturday things got a little stirred up and silty, but still not terrible, same deal for Sunday. Worth a trip in our book just for the paddlefish.

Hey AustinV, where do you NOVA residents dive in the Winter? Does everybody just shut down or travel South? I used to visit family in sunny South Riding often, but never for diving. They’ve moved to Sunny Charleston, SC, so the question is probably moot.
🐸

Back
Top Bottom