Hello all! (first post) Coming down to the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Book your diving in Key West with Southpoint Divers and mention crazyboutdiving sent you for a discount. Don't bother with anyone else, I've tried them all in Key West.
Have fun.

We're not going to dive in Key West, just party, site see, and maybe some fishing.

NO NO your doing it all wrong This is what you do... go on vacation in the Keys take one day go out and get a job (good paying job) than wait for your wife to say on the last night your here Oh honey I wish we didn't have to leave than spring it on her that she dos'nt have to. Break the news that you got a job and your moving to the Keys. Put your house up for sell move your stuff down here, when your house sells buy one here. Taaa...daaaa Your in.
I went on vacation in July 2002 and look at me I'm still here.LOL

Now that's a great idea! Unfortunately, my wife is insane and thinks that we wouldn't appreciate beautiful summer days if we had them year round :shakehead:.

I spent a week in Key West last summer and I seem to remember we stayed at a nice (older) hotel called Casa Marina resort. Very Art deco and historical. It was under renovation when we were there and the rate was good...I think.

Ok ok ..... So I don't remember a whole lot about the week but I really think I remember having LOTS of fun!! The rate right now (via yahoo travel) is about $180 a night. Very nice pool, a beach (sorta) with a pier swimming entry. We walked or taxi'd it everywhere, and other than an unfortunate (and completely undeserved) accusation regarding molestation of a coconut on public property, it was a great week! rum bar called RumRunners (i'm thinking it was on Duval towards the south end?) had Sailor Jerry's, as well as a few other hard to find rums, and they make a KILLER mojito!!!

I agree with the others...don't bother diving in Key West. So many other fun things to do. Dive with Capt. Gary and Adm. Brenda at Conch Republic in Tavernier..then head to the Key West to UNWIND!!!!

For our Wedding/Honeymoon we stayed at the Chelsea House which is part of a group of inns called historickeywestinns.com.

Oooooh, we are staying there this weekend! It's a non-diving weekend (my Miata is going to be decorated for the holiday parade) but Reeferhead, if you will shoot me a PM next week, I'll give you an up-to-date review of Chelsea House!

The reason I selected it was because my Miata club's choice of lodging doesn't allow pets. Chelsea House was the most reasonable and nice place that will let me bring Barkley.

Becky, where are these good paying jobs in the Keys? Are you telling me that I didn't have to sell my old house at MM103.5 after all? :(

A good paying job would be in the hospitals or your own business. Nursing pays well if you own 1 home here:wink: If you own 2 you need to venture out to travel nursing which puts you out of town alot. But I would tell anyone who is wanting to move to the Keys buy 1 home so you can enjoy the Keys and not have to work all the time. Most lower paying jobs here in the Keys start about 9hr and go up. Mickie dees & Burger King is 9.00hr.

Hilary,
Thanks for the tips. I'll try and restrain myself and stay away from the coconuts :shakehead: I'll have to check out your mojito place though.

Debby,
Why not post your review here, when you get back? Thanks for the heads up.

Speargirl,
I just started working for the feds doing ecological work, mostly aquatic stuff, freshwater obviously, but working out of Southern Florida would be a dream job, maybe one day :14:

Debby,
Why not post your review here, when you get back?

Because I won't remember! So send me a PM. :crafty:

Becky, no way am I going to Nursing School, I already have enough degrees (none of which will make me rich in the Keys) and I am officially DONE with school! I've seen way too many businesses go under, so I guess I will just feel BLESSED that I only live 80 minutes from the Keys!! :D

By the way if anyone wants to head to Key West on Saturday night you can cheer us on in the parade! :blinking: Look for the blue Miata with a Spongebob Airblown on the trunk and a Ho-Ho-Homer Simpson Airblown on the hood! :rofl3:

If, as you say, you're on the young and adventerous side, I would suggest staying at Marina del Mar. It's right there on the harbor. It's also right next door to Coconuts, the largest bar/restaurant in the marina. Lot's of live music and a hangout for divers and boat owners. Also, you can walk a few yards south of Marina del Mar along the canal and hit...help me conchs, I can't remember the name of that little bar/restaurant, but it's a spot where a lot of the younger DM's hang out. If I remember right, it's just about next door to Ocean Divers. Also, both Coconuts and the "other place" have outdoor seating where you can see in the breeze and watch the boats come and go (or folks just partying on their boat).

Speaking of young DM's. There are so many great dive ops in Key Largo, but the DM's and staff at Rainbow Reef always seem to be around that 25-35 age group. One reason is that Rainbow Reef has an instructor intern program. And they are so anxious to make sure you enjoy your dives.

Anyway, my wife and I are not on the young side (50ish) but we love staying in the marina because you walk to everything a diver needs, a boat, some food, and a brew. Have fun.

If, as you say, you're on the young and adventerous side, I would suggest staying at Marina del Mar. It's right there on the harbor. It's also right next door to Coconuts, the largest bar/restaurant in the marina. Lot's of live music and a hangout for divers and boat owners. Also, you can walk a few yards south of Marina del Mar along the canal and hit...help me conchs, I can't remember the name of that little bar/restaurant, but it's a spot where a lot of the younger DM's hang out. If I remember right, it's just about next door to Ocean Divers. Also, both Coconuts and the "other place" have outdoor seating where you can see in the breeze and watch the boats come and go (or folks just partying on their boat).

I think you're talking about Sharky's. Some of us got tanked there at Sinko-de-mayo :D

Ahhh, the Chelseahouse...we really enjoyed ourselves (April 2007). I can describe our room (the Conch Suite) I think. It was nicely decorated and not too cheesy. Surprisingly, a lot of space, closet, 2 dressers, king bed, 2 seater sofa and tv. The bathroom had been remodeled into a more modern style...but, it was TEENY! Very, very small bathroom. We also had a nice front porch with french doors. The breakfast was nothing fancy, just bagels and muffins. The pool area is nice and like all things KW...not overly big or spacious.

I would go there again because we like to travel with our dogs. We saw several people with their pets. This one guy always was walking his cat in a stroller. :coffee: I am looking forward to seeing what Debby has to say because the website is different and it looks like the property may have been remodeled a bit.

Live and work in KW?! What a dream...I could totally teach down there, but I don't think my husband would be up for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom