Heavy Duty Zip Seals - Which Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chewie07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently started diving with my FLX 50/50 that currently has Heavy Duty Latex ZIPSeals. I wanted to post this question here (as opposed to the DUI Mfg. forum) because I have no interest in the ZipGloves (great concept, I just don't want to don/doff with gloves on).

Can anyone recommend either the Si-Tech, DC, OS, or Viking/bayonnet system for the HD ZipSeals? I've seen and read all the Scubaboard information on all the various systems (including those who are using it with regular latex ZipSeals, it just seems that no one else is using the HD latex zipseals.

As comfortable as my pinnacle merino wet gloves are, I don't think they'll hold up in the < 50°C water dives and keep my hands warm.

Thanks for the help!

I recently started diving with my FLX 50/50 that currently has Heavy Duty Latex ZIPSeals. I wanted to post this question here (as opposed to the DUI Mfg. forum) because I have no interest in the ZipGloves (great concept, I just don't want to don/doff with gloves on).

Can anyone recommend either the Si-Tech, DC, OS, or Viking/bayonnet system for the HD ZipSeals? I've seen and read all the ScubaBoard information on all the various systems (including those who are using it with regular latex ZipSeals, it just seems that no one else is using the HD latex zipseals.

As comfortable as my pinnacle merino wet gloves are, I don't think they'll hold up in the < 50°C water dives and keep my hands warm.

Thanks for the help!

I hate to ask the obvious but have you tried your Pinnacle merino wet gloves in temperatures below 500 F?

I wear my SeaSoft 5 mm wet gloves in temperatures of 450 F. My dives are always standard recreational dives so I cannot comment on technical dives where you might be spending a couple of hours per dive in the water.

I would try the Pinnacle gloves first to make sure you actually need the dry gloves.

My dry suit is also a DUI FLX 50/50.

I've used the DC rings with HD zipseals on a CLX450. It was OK, but not great. It added a few inches to the cuff and it was a little annoying above water because the ring would rest on my palm (I think it's the carpal bone on my thumb, but I ain't no MD!). Underwater, the suit would suck out the excess and I don't think I noticed it, but I didn't dive it very often. It might be different if you have the arms cut a little shorter to accommodate the rings.

I had to use a few clamps to get the rings onto the seals cuz those HD seals are a bear. With a little practice, it wasn't too bad, but I couldn't do it without tools. I can put gloves on DC rings without tools.

I've been diving the zipgloves for almost a year- I've gotten used to them, but I still want DC rings. I think the zipseals are a brilliant idea if you ONLY use wetgloves. As soon as you want to use drygloves, I think they are less than ideal. I'm going to remove the wrist zips from my drysuit and replace them with DC rings as soon as I can stop diving for a few weeks.

Funny... I should said 50°F!. Cut and paste error (needed the degree symbol!).

I have done many dives in 52 - 55°F water and my hands got cold towards the end.

The one main problem I have with the zip seals, is that I try to pull my sleeves back to extend my seals all the way so that when I put the wet gloves on the end of the glove rests on my wrist and the zip ring will then go over the collar of the glove. But sometimes this doesn't work to well, so I just put the collar of the pinnacle glove over the zipseal (which doesn't cause any problems).

Just thinking that drygloves would keep my hands warmer and be more comfortable...

do it easy, what would you think if I simply ordered the "regular" latex zipseals and used those for the DC rings? Might make it easier to install the rings. Then I'll have the HD zipseals for the wet gloves and regular zipseals with rings installed for drygloves.

Anyone try the SiTech, OS or Viking systems?

I think it would be easier to install with the regular latex, but I heard they won't last as long. It's not that hard with a little practice and some cheap rubber clamps.

I've never used them, but another option would be drygloves with the latex seal. You simply overlap the seals and put a string/cloth/tube under the seals so that the gloves can equalize.

Thought about that too. Maybe I'll just try some liners out. If I make sure the liner is between my skin and the HD seal and then just put the glove on over the HD seal I may like it. I may still need some assistance getting ready, but I'm not ashamed to ask and it would be fairly inexpensive to try this out.

I was thinking about having zip seals installed on my suit and I had the same question. I have a CLX450 that came with attached tapered regular seals. I had one rip while I was up in Tobermory (fixed with duct tape). When I got back I took my suit to the LDS and they replaced the wrist seals with some heavy duty bell shaped seals. They installed my bayonet stlye dry gloves and they are working OK but I don't like that the cuffs are so far down my arm (just past my wrist). I was wondering if the zip seals would be too long too.

Chewie, I use the SITech gloves and have nothing but good things to say about them. I believe they are very similar to the Viking. They are very easy to install, easy enough that you could dive with them on one dive, take them off in seconds and dive wet gloves on the next if you wanted to. What I like the best is the easy way they don/doof. The spinner just slides them right off and no help is required.

I bought the ring set and found the same gloves online for a fraction of the cost of the set that comes with the rings. I think I paid $13.00 for just the gloves. For that price I bought several different sizes so I could change the inner glove for different temps.

Regards

I have used the viking bayonnet rings on the zip seals, they worked great but the added bulk to the wrist area made it harder for me to reach my valves. I was only able to bend my wrist a little as the rings were pushing into my hands. I couldn't slide the sleeves up very far due to my forearms being larger then the zip seals. That being said though I enjoyed the feeling of dry hands, but I hated the loss of dexterity, and I liked the concept of the zip gloves but hated the idea of dressing with gloves on as well.

I originally was diving with reef gloves down to about 45 and could go for about an hour or so, but any longer and my hands were beginning to go numb, in fact I am going to go back to diving maybe bum it up to 3 or 5mm and I should be fine for some period of time. Actually if anyone is interested I will sell the ring system to them for a great price, only used 5 times. And it will include three sets of gloves.

Oh on a side note use the yellow rings for the hd zip seals if you go with the viking system, they fit it best. you can use the blue but the yellow I found were a better fit, didn't have to force them in.

Thanks everyone for the info! I guess it really will be trial and error. I do love the HD seals, there comfortable and very durable (I think I would haev a tough time tearing one. But, naturally it will limit my dryglove options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom