heard bad news while diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a charter in the Bahamas before were a guy tried to do almost the same thing....After the Captain telling him that hes not diving, and the guy not paying any attention to the Captain.......The Captain gave the DM a nod and he went over and cut the guys airhose.....It was rental gear from the diveshop, so they can do what they want....and the guy was so stunned he didnt say a word the rest of the day......

I don't think there is a court in the world that would convict someone for throwing a mask overboard to prevent that person from doing something unsafe and risking his life. Even so, it would be small claims court and would probably be settled for the cost of the mask and dives. I am also quite sure that if that happened the dive op, and not the DM, would gladly pay the cost for the DM in question. If I was the operator, I would WANT a DM that would do something like this if there was a question of safety involved. Only problem I see is that someone like the guy in question would probably have tried to start a fistfight over his mask being thrown in.

That one is even better, CUT the airhose!! I like it!! To be truthful though, like I said earlier, I wouldnt care if it was rental or the guys personal equipment. I would rather GIVE him a new hose when we got back to the dock than let him go back in.

biscuit7:
I was taught a pretty foolproof way of discouraging someone from diving in my rescue class. I have yet to use it in a real situation but I was close to it one day. If you throw someone's mask overboard, they're probably not diving.

R

In addition to being a criminal act, it could easily add to your liability. I can easily dive without a mask, but it makes it much more difficult to monitor my air and deco status. That could contribute to an injury/death.

You can advise someone not to make a dive, but you can't stop them. The only way you can stop them is with their consent. Usually the diver will back down, but if they don't, it's out of your hands, even on a charter, assuming they have their own tanks.

biscuit7:
I was taught a pretty foolproof way of discouraging someone from diving in my rescue class. I have yet to use it in a real situation but I was close to it one day. If you throw someone's mask overboard, they're probably not diving.

R
I would get my backup mask and 'its on'....:wink:

fldiver1:
I don't think there is a court in the world that would convict someone for throwing a mask overboard to prevent that person from doing something unsafe and risking his life. Even so, it would be small claims court and would probably be settled for the cost of the mask and dives. I am also quite sure that if that happened the dive op, and not the DM, would gladly pay the cost for the DM in question. If I was the operator, I would WANT a DM that would do something like this if there was a question of safety involved. Only problem I see is that someone like the guy in question would probably have tried to start a fistfight over his mask being thrown in.

That one is even better, CUT the airhose!! I like it!! To be truthful though, like I said earlier, I wouldnt care if it was rental or the guys personal equipment. I would rather GIVE him a new hose when we got back to the dock than let him go back in.
And you would trust your freedom and bank account to people like those who acquitted OJ?

I have seen slam dunk cases where even the defendant admitted that he did it get found not guilty. It goes the other way as well. So without being in the criminal justice system I be careful on who you think will do what and when. It is a world of surprises.

By the way, not all masks fall under the misdemeanor or small claims courts.

Gary D.

You have to love the American Legal System. I think I'll go buy some scolding coffee from McDonald's now ...

amascuba:
You have to love the American Legal System. I think I'll go buy some scolding coffee from McDonald's now ...
Get two and give me one.....:D

Hey, I have an idea ! Let's do some wild speculation in the other direction.....

Let's say that dive #1 = 100', 20min / EAN 32, makes him group K, 15 min later (now group I) he discovers his Rolex missing.....A quick check on his PADI EAN 32 chart shows 13 min. NDL @ 100'.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy about this profile, but it's not off the charts - 13 min. is 13min., and a Rolex is $$$$$.

More speculation.... He plans a 10min dive @ 100', followed by a 1min. stop @ 50' 3 min. assent to 15' ect.

Somewhere along the way, the plan goes up in smoke, and he get's bent.

Now is he still stupid, or would we be offering our best wishes, and hopes for a quick recovery ?

Back
Top Bottom