heard bad news while diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out here there is a HIGH probability that it was a private boat. Having said that, I agree with Walter, there is something to be said for personal responsibility. You can advise, but you can't force. If someone insists on making bad choices, it's just another form of natural selection.

I was taught a pretty foolproof way of discouraging someone from diving in my rescue class. I have yet to use it in a real situation but I was close to it one day. If you throw someone's mask overboard, they're probably not diving.

R

biscuit7:
I was taught a pretty foolproof way of discouraging someone from diving in my rescue class. I have yet to use it in a real situation but I was close to it one day. If you throw someone's mask overboard, they're probably not diving.

R

Naw, the fool just would have grabbed it on his way down.

Well, couldn't say I didn't try to discourage the dive using everything but actual brute force though.

R

Simple...On a CHARTER, we swap tanks out. Diver hands in Tank we give him fresh tank. If Captain or DM think something is up..in this case a B2B dive. The diver has to sit out at least 45 minutes. We do not give the tank because it is OUR/Charter'S responsability to operate the vessel and the dives in a safe manner. Ensure the saftey of all divers. If diver is risking his life...like him or not...we have to PREVENT it. This is the way we would handle it. Aside from beating him with his snorkle...:wink:

On a private boat. Is another matter.

Gary D.:
And would you please describe HOW you would PREVENT him from going back in?

Gary D.

Gary D.:
And would you please describe HOW you would PREVENT him from going back in?

Gary D.
EXACTLY!!!! I have been on many dive boats with "Joe Diver." Noone would be able to tell them they are wrong about anything. I was on a boat where a guy came up the anchorline with his speargun loaded. The Dm went off on him. The guy looked at the DM like he was the one being a jerk. Nothing suprises me anymore.

biscuit7:

R
You have just committed a criminal act for which, depending on the value of the mask, could get you either local jail time or time in the state pen.

Not using it yet is a good thing. Other than criminally you could be held liable in civil court. Depending on where you are at could be from the cost of the mask to YOU actually buying them a house in the location of their choice.

Gary D.

Wow...alot of people just think this person is just stupid. It could be possible he just didn't know any better, for whatever reason. You are all right that the ultimate decision for going back into the water is in his hands...but as divers we should all look out for our each others backs and watch out for our own. Even if it is just lending a watchful eye every now and then.

scarefaceDM:
Simple...On a CHARTER, we swap tanks out. Diver hands in Tank we give him fresh tank. If Captain or DM think something is up..in this case a B2B dive. The diver has to sit out at least 45 minutes. We do not give the tank because it is OUR/Charter'S responsability to operate the vessel and the dives in a safe manner. Ensure the saftey of all divers. If diver is risking his life...like him or not...we have to PREVENT it. This is the way we would handle it. Aside from beating him with his snorkle...:wink:

On a private boat. Is another matter.
Other than what you just described there isn't much more you can do.

So what if he takes a tank from another diver and starts to go in or what if these are HIS tanks?

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom