Healthways DeLuxe Reg and twin 42's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZKY, was it your thread earlier where replacement bushings were discussed? I remember reading somewhere that the real issue wasn't bushings themselves, but rather that the bushings that got used on all these conversions were only intended for low pressure applications. That if you had some bushings made out of stainless and then stamped 4500 psi or 300 bar that you might be able to get them filled.

It probably wouldn't matter though. They'd just refuse to fill them anyway.

Interesting thoughts all! Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard about the high pressure bushing issue, but I don't think my LDS would care either way. They're pretty much like that.

I guess I can just list the stuff on ebay and see where it goes!

Ted

How much do you think it would cost to send to 19701 DE? I might be interested.

I believe those are 40CF tanks and way cool. I had a set just like them in the mid 80's and they were considered old back then. No benefit using these over a single AL 80 other than the nostalgia factor. You pay more for air fills with two and they weigh more. Plus the bushings factor is why I sold mine long ago. It is however an example of how it was done back in the day. Basically, you have everything you need to dive right there in that setup. Hundreds of thousands and maybe millions of dives were made with rigs no more than that from the 40's - 70's. You are right on the bushings, no one likes to hydro those anymore. I might be interested in the reg. if you are selling it.

Steve

Scubasteve59, I wonder if I could fill them at my local dive club's fill station? Not sure what rules they have though, it may be the same as the dive shop, but members get free fills. I am selling the reg, but a couple people may be interested. How much would you give me for it?

paperdesk-

I also have a set of 38's that have bushings on them. I had no problem getting my set hydro'd from my local hydro shop. I always go straight to my hydro guy and bypass the LDS. The only stipulation from the shop was that the bushings needed to be taken off of the tanks when they were hydro'd. After the hydro I put the bushings back on them. If your bushings are worn you can always get a replacement at Mcmaster-Carr. They have HP stainless steel ones available if you go that route. Your bushings look like they are 1" to 1/2" tapered. Mine were 1" to 3/4" so I could use a modern 3/4' manifold. Hope this helps if you decide to keep the set.

If your LDS won't fill them you could always fill them from a HP tank using a transfer whip like ZKY suggested.

I just took my set in to get hydro'd and they told me the same thing, they needed to pull out the inserts to hydro them. He said putting them back in was going to be on me though.
There was an older guy in the shop that was visiting that also had a hydro facility in Sacramento. It turns out he was a diver himself and an instructor for 22 years way back when. We got into a discussion about old gear including double hoses and said he dove all that stuff back in the day and had a few stories to tell. I thought it was cool to hang out in the back of the hydro facility and talk shop and diving with those guys. The old guy told the younger owner of the shop that those tanks were fine to hydro and not to worry about it. I felt lucky that there just happened to be an old salty diver and hydro guy there visiting that knew about old tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom