Question Heading to Monterey breakwall, need to rent gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like what I’ve read about it and I like the built in pockets which would allow me to ditch my Apecks shorts.

Got it.

If you're heading down during the weekdays, would highly recommend diving Point Lobos, if you haven't done it already. You should be able to find mid-week reservation spots open. Lovely dive site at Whaler's Cove serviced by a convenient parking lot with a picnic area and hose for shower/rinsing.

Also, Mcabee beach should be nice and convenient. Would be a quick swim out to the kelp with some nice things to see out there :)

Sorry if this was unsolicited advice... the better half and I have some dives coming up and the juices are flowing :)

MacAbee Beach can also be semi-tricky if the tide is moving or if there is a little swell. It tends to turn into a washing machine about 20 yards off shore, but if the wave activity is good (i.e. small) it'll be a good dive. There is a nice reef out there and by moving northeast underwater, you can hit the metridium fields.

I love the Breakwater. Whenever I go to Monterey, I always make sure to dive there a few times. People love bagging on it for being a "beginners dive", but there is so much to see, the visibility is usually very good and its just a fun dive. Plus, the shore entry there is WAY easier than say a Monastery Beach entry.

Not sure your familiarity on the Breakwater, but what I love to do is swim to marker 8, drop and head out until you hit the rock beds. Grab a rock and bang your tank or another rock and wait a bit. You will be surrounded by Harbor Seals quickly which is an amazing experience. Keep you eyes peeled on the deeper water and you have a chance to catch a Mola or a BIG pacific Hailbut. We ran into one Halibut back in september that was easily 4 feet from nose to tail. On the way back to the shore, take your time going through the kelp and be sure (especially in late afternoon when the sun is falling, to look up). Magic happens in that kelp with sunlight pouring through in those hours.

I second the comment on Lobos on a weekday. Some amazing diving there. Also, I would check out Lovers Point and the kelp beds there. It is also a great dive (just be ready to lug your gear up the stairs).

Have a great time and the folks at Monterey Bay Scuba are the best kind of people for you gear needs, air fills and knowledge of the area. Class A folks.

I was going to suggest the same alternative sites as above. Point Lobos will have spots avail on the weekdays, and with a little reading up, you can self-guide (Note: Hole in the Wall area - the left side of Whalers Cove is an urchin barren. You'll want to stick to the right side of Whalers Cove - Middle Reef)

McAbee Beach is a nice site not far from the Breakwater, easy to dive (swim to the kelp, dive under the kelp, make sure to return clear of the kelp). And the last time I dove there last year, it was fairly clear of urchins.

If conditions are calm, you could also check to see if someone would show you Monastery. As you mention, entry and exit can be tricky'

Breakwater is a great site, especially if you haven't dove it for awhile, but for 3 consecutive days, I'd want some varierty.

Got it.

If you're heading down during the weekdays, would highly recommend diving Point Lobos, if you haven't done it already. You should be able to find mid-week reservation spots open. Lovely dive site at Whaler's Cove serviced by a convenient parking lot with a picnic area and hose for shower/rinsing.

Also, Mcabee beach should be nice and convenient. Would be a quick swim out to the kelp with some nice things to see out there :)

Sorry if this was unsolicited advice... the better half and I have some dives coming up and the juices are flowing :)
Thanks for the information.
I was actually considering point lobos after taking my son out for an easy dive day at the breakwall. He lives up in the Santa Cruz mountains while I am in southern cal. Redondo beach. Trying to coordinate our dive days seems a bit more difficult when we have to rent gear. The three shops I have checked so far all open at 9am, so getting out into the water would be well after 10am.
I was not aware you had to make a reservation to dive at point lobos.

used to be you could walk up during the week, but that got changed thanks to covid. if conditions cooperate, monastery beach/carmel river beach/butterfly house/copper roof house/stillwater cove are some good carmel spots. stillwater requires reservations also, butterfly house requires some hiking to get down into the cove, and copper roof is pretty darn shallow if not at high tide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom