Question Heading to Monterey breakwall, need to rent gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am heading to Monterey later this month and would like to dive the breakwall.
I have all my own gear but am not bringing my tank. Would need to rent preferably a hp100 for myself and my son who lives in Santa Cruz will need to rent wetsuit, tank, hood, weight belt, and regulator set.
I dive weekly here in Redondo beach and palos verdes.
Where would be the most convenient place to rent gear and what price should I expect for that and fills?
Thanks

I’ve found Monterey Bay Scuba to be really convenient. They’re located in the parking lot that you’d likely park in, so grabbing equipment will be quick and simple. Not sure about HP100s but I’ve rented AL80s, weights, and a 7mm suit from them.

I’ve also rented tanks from Aquarius which is a few miles away, but I always try to get to the San Carlos parking lot as early as possible… the extra stop at Aquarius was 30 mins of sleep lost :)

If you’re coming from Santa Cruz, you’ll pass by Aquarius anyway. And the Breakwater has two shops within sight. All of them have steel 100s but I would call to reserve in advance. You can get by with one if that’s all they have since the nearby shops are quick with fills, which are $7 ish. I think a complete rental is $75.

Buying a punch card at Cannery Row Aquatics, which is right across the street on the other side of the San Carlos parking lots from Monterey Bay Scuba, made air fills $5 a pop for me a few months ago. I've never tried to rent gear there. They have loads of equipment and tanks, though. I'd call first, but I'm almost certain I saw some steels back there.

Steel 100s may be hard to come by for the 2 shops within walking distance (Monterey Bay & Cannery Row), and for all shops in general on the weekends, so co-sign to check/reserve in advance.

Thanks, our plans are for diving on week days Tuesday, Wednesday, and or Thursday as early in the morning as possible.
Do any of the shops offer discount for multiple days of renting gear?

Thanks, our plans are for diving on week days Tuesday, Wednesday, and or Thursday as early in the morning as possible.
Do any of the shops offer discount for multiple days of renting gear?
Are you planning on diving breakwater on 3 consecutive days?

It’s a nice place to do trainings and all but… :)

Breakwater is a great dive site, dive the wall a few times and do some through the kelp, head out to meridian field, you can easily spend 3 dive days there and see different things on each dive. Go slow and see what’s there.

Not knowing the area and only 3 days for diving I saw the breakwall was the most convenient for renting gear, parking, and seems to be a very popular spot.
Certainly open to other areas for day two and maybe three. Have heard about monastery beach, but also have read that entry and exit can be tricky.
Have begun checking out different dive shops for pricing, availability of tanks, discounts for multiple days of rental gear.
We were planning on doing a two tank dive the first day if weather and conditions were good.

Not knowing the area and only 3 days for diving I saw the breakwall was the most convenient for renting gear, parking, and seems to be a very popular spot.
Certainly open to other areas for day two and maybe three. Have heard about monastery beach, but also have read that entry and exit can be tricky.
Have begun checking out different dive shops for pricing, availability of tanks, discounts for multiple days of rental gear.
We were planning on doing a two tank dive the first day if weather and conditions were good.
Got it.

If you're heading down during the weekdays, would highly recommend diving Point Lobos, if you haven't done it already. You should be able to find mid-week reservation spots open. Lovely dive site at Whaler's Cove serviced by a convenient parking lot with a picnic area and hose for shower/rinsing.

Also, Mcabee beach should be nice and convenient. Would be a quick swim out to the kelp with some nice things to see out there :)

Sorry if this was unsolicited advice... the better half and I have some dives coming up and the juices are flowing :)

Back
Top Bottom