heading to Maui in April - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would check www.mauidreamsdiveco.com they have a weather conditions site. B&B has a brand new boat and that is where we get our tanks as it is located across from my office. Maui Dive shop and Lahaina Diver are located in Lahaina on the West side.

I'm going to Maui at the end of March and I was interested in some shore dives. I've never done any shore dives on Maui though and I'm nervous to just trek out with my husband; any recommendations guided shore dives near Lahaina to get us started?

I'm going to Maui at the end of March and I was interested in some shore dives. I've never done any shore dives on Maui though and I'm nervous to just trek out with my husband; any recommendations guided shore dives near Lahaina to get us started?

I did black rock and another location (I don't remember off the top of my head) with a guide from Extended Horizons. Great dives with a guide that really knew the sites. If you want to head down to Kihei and south Maui, contact Shaka Doug Corbin. He seems to know every shore site (and everyone) in South Maui.

Aloha Debbie!

I live in Kihei. Read the above posts, and could comment on most... Have been to most South Maui dive locations and just went yesterday to Lanai and dove Cathedrals I with a friend from Saturna Island near Vancouver. Great time! My home dive shop is Maui Dreams (and I live a block from there) ~ Ask Terri (the owner) about me (Joe, from Michigan) and she can validate my local credentials! ;-) You should email me and we could share phone #'s and we'll do some diving when you're here!? Hope to hear from you... Aloha.

If you want to see some places most people don't go try getting on an afternoon dive with Maui Dive Shop on Mondays and Thursdays. They do DSDs in a couple coves along the inaccessible coastline on the way between Maalaea and Lahaina. The dives are cheap to do and most people never get a chance to see that area. Also, check with Maui Dreams since they often do dives to places that aren't hit up commonly, like the new Hell Diver or the Carthaginian. Also, don't forget Lana'i. There are so many awesome dives over there. The Cathedrals are always done, but there's also No Name Paradise, Lighthouse, and Wash Rock that are probably some of the best dives in Hawaii.

As for shore diving, the Hell Divers and Canyonlands are rarely done and many dive stores will rent scooters. Also, just before Olowalu around Coral Gardens there's an area where mantas hang out during the day that is awesome to dive.

Hello Debbie,

I just wanted to provide an update on my Maui diving.

I did 6 total dives while I was out there. 1 day shore dive (Black Rock), 1 night shore dive (Black Rock), and 4 boat dives with Lahaina Divers (Lana’i).

It was an amazing experience. I swam with sea turtles on my first dive (day shore dive, Black Rock).

I dove Lana’i (Cathedrals 1 & 2, Menpachi, & light house) on my next four dives. This is where I was at the mouth of a cave at 60 feet and a big white tip reef shark swam out and scared the crap out of me. :)

My last dive was a night shore dive at Black Rock. A big sea lion came up to us (4 of us) and hung around very curious, playing and eating our bubbles during our dive. It was truly an amazing experience to say the least.

The people at Lahaina Divers were very cool, and professional. The 40 something foot boat was a smooth ride and the Capitan also stopped for the Whales to watch a bit. The dive masters would change our your gear for you if you wanted. I did my own rigging though, I’m like that. The only thing that was a bummer is they had dive restrictions on the Molokini back wall (25 logged dives). I even had Dive Instructors say they would vouch for me but, no go. Tanks were AL72’s and they charge extra for larger. My EDT was around 40 min and max depth was 63’ for my dives with the 72’s.

The day/night dives at Black Rock you have to book via the Sheraton. On both occasions I walked over and booked them the same day. They normally give you AL 63’s but you can ask for 72’s or even 80’s at no extra charge, which I did! Just say you’re an air hog. The max depth at Black Rock is 35'.

As I mentioned in the other post, it is likely you spent time with a RARE Hawaiian Monk Seal rather than a Sea Lion (which aren't found in Hawaii). VERY cool, VERY VERY cool!!

If you want to check out the shore diving conditons along Maui's South Shore have a look at this webcam before you head for the beach:

Hawaii Web Cam: Maui Web Cam, Beach Web Cam, Live Beach Cam, Maui Weather Cam

beachcam.jpg

Tell 'em Shaka Doug sent you!

Just by looking at it as I post this I can see that the seas are coming a little out of the south... not a normal day for us! It certainly helps to have local knowledge and experience when you are making your shore diving plans. Many times the lifeguards will place the Red Flags or other warnings in view of this webcam too. Although you may not be able to read the specific warning, seeing the Red Flag gives you the idea that something is up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom