headin' to California ... May 18-22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben, if I can leave work around 9ish, I'd be all over late diving with you at Lobos Friday. I'm gonna be down for the Monastery Saturday dive. I think we should hop in at N Monastery (http://www.saintbrendan.com/Aug4/CCoast8.html) if we can, I hear the wall there is absolutely awesome (0-1000+). I think I'd have to stop at 100' though...32% doesn't let you go much deeper.

hi all,

just fyi, myself and a friend travis are planning to check out monastary at nine saturday... hope to join you fine people if conditions are favorable (look into my magic 8-ball!)

ben_not_ca:wink:

So how was it? Sorry I couldn't make it down tehre to meet everyone specially our esteemed guest... maybe next time Bob... Oh and Monastery is always that flat :)

Ben_ca:
So how was it?
Friday at Pt Lobos was Wonderful! The weather was nice, the water was calm, the company was great! The tide was LOW so the kelp was THICK at the surface. The water was cool (49 degrees).

Very little surge. Lots of yellow and white nudis. A few crabs. Schools of millions of tiny (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch) juveniles in places.

The only bad thing is that I got sunburnt on my surface interval, and the traffic was HEAVY heading north at Carmel.

Ben_ca:
Oh and Monastery is always that flat :)
At Pt Lobos it was so flat that I wanted to waterski. Honest, it was flat enough to see a reflection of the cliffs on the far side of the cove.

Alas, I couldn't join the group on Saturday because I had a meeting for Burning Man in SF.

Wristshot

Well, I'm home ... got in about a half-hour ago.

It was wonderful! Both Friday and Saturday were incredible, with great vis and very flat seas. After all the cautionary talk about Monastery, the hardest part of the whole dive was getting back up the sand dune when it was over.

Friday at Whaler's Cove we had a good 40-50 foot vis, and very calm seas. It was great diving with Drew, Jason, Jon, and Dan. Also got to meet a few other folks.

Overall I got in four dives ... two on Friday at Lobos (75 and 51 minutes, respectively), and two on Saturday at Monastary (87 and 76 minutes, respectively). Drew is an excellent host and dive buddy ... and this was an awesome experience. Was great to meet so many folks I've only ever known before on the Internet.

I'll post some pics later ... gotta go unpack and repack my things. I'm goin' diving with Lynne this afternoon ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How did the camera enclosure turn out? Is it dead, or just injured?

Now that you're back and diving with Lynne, I'm going to hold off on the long winded dive report from Saturday. Still recouperating from my Tech write up.

I did get some decent video from Saturday, and will look at putting a quick movie together tonight when Janeane and I get home.

Have fun today.

~ Jason

Next time we'll take you to some REALLY good spots! Glad you had a good time, Bob. Don't be a stranger!

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, I'm home ... got in about a half-hour ago.

It was wonderful! Both Friday and Saturday were incredible, with great vis and very flat seas. After all the cautionary talk about Monastery, the hardest part of the whole dive was getting back up the sand dune when it was over.

Friday at Whaler's Cove we had a good 40-50 foot vis, and very calm seas. It was great diving with Drew, Jason, Jon, and Dan. Also got to meet a few other folks.

Overall I got in four dives ... two on Friday at Lobos (75 and 51 minutes, respectively), and two on Saturday at Monastary (87 and 76 minutes, respectively). Drew is an excellent host and dive buddy ... and this was an awesome experience. Was great to meet so many folks I've only ever known before on the Internet.

I'll post some pics later ... gotta go unpack and repack my things. I'm goin' diving with Lynne this afternoon ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hope other folks from other areas of the country recognize that many of around here are just looking for an excuse to dive, and someone showing up to visit is just the little motivation we love.

I hope to get more invites in the future, and I hope we get more visitors! (Jan, are you listening?)

Wristshot

darkpup:
How did the camera enclosure turn out? Is it dead, or just injured?

Now that you're back and diving with Lynne, I'm going to hold off on the long winded dive report from Saturday. Still recouperating from my Tech write up.

I did get some decent video from Saturday, and will look at putting a quick movie together tonight when Janeane and I get home.

Have fun today.

~ Jason
It was great meeting you and Janeane ... as well as Adobo and all the others on Saturday.

The camera housing is working just fine again ... as is the Salvo. Both seemed to want to take a vacation during our dives on Saturday. I took the camera out of the housing between dives, and it worked just fine after I put it back in again. I think the shutter button on the housing just got "off kilter" somehow, and doing that "reset" it.

The Salvo wouldn't work at all on Saturday ... couldn't make it fire. Fortunately, with that vis I didn't need it. Got it back to Drew's place, cleaned everything up, and figured I'd try it again. Fired right up. Worked perfectly tonight as well (up here I really do need it ... at 100 fsw, it's always a night dive).

I guess the light figured I was on vacation ... it might as well be too ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, Jason, put some blister bandages over the end of those tender fingers . . .

Now that my buddy has "tested the waters" (so to speak), I figure it's safe for me and my husband to make our road trip to the Bay Area in October. I hope you'll all turn out for us, too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom