Headed to Maui May 12th-28th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm:
I wont get in a pissing contest, it really isnt that important. I had a good experience. I tried to dive with a few other places B&B included as a last minute deal on the last day, but couldnt swing it. So I have nothing (in Maui) to compare it to. But compared to other boats I have been on it was good. The crew seemed to want to have a good time, were fun, and didnt rush us. We even had a couple of new divers on the boat and they were very patient with them.
I do know, that another dive operator (guide) brought his group though the middle of the group I was diving with while we were looking at some garden eels. Rather than skirt the outside of the group. I kind of thought this was rude..... and probably intentional... seemed like there was some problems between the two... (You probably know who you are....)
Jeff,

I'm curious as to who the captain was (and who the DMs were) the day you were on. I suspect this is where the biggest difference is to be found!

The day I was on board, I was creeped out by the captain. I was also spoken rudely to by one of the DM's when I asked to not dive a site that I could (and probably had many times) dove from shore.

The other DM, however was a pleasure to be around and happened to be the one leading the group I was a part of.

On the day I was on board, we WERE rushed to do a relatively short SI (0:58) and short second dive (39 minutes on the St. Anthony) as a result... mostly because they had a second charter they needed to get back for.

For the record, we were in the water at 7:26am at Molokini for the first dive -- and we watched the sun rise over Haleakala, so it must have been early enough!

Kris PM sent.

Valerie was our Captain both days.

Our DM the first day was Greg with Toby also on the boat. We were in the water at Molokini at 0656

The second day our DM was Charley with Toby and Paul on the boat. We were in the water at 0702

Both days our surface interval was over an hour.

The major complaint we had with them was the rental equipment. (not the boat gear, IT was new) My wife rented some equipment for our shore dives, it was NOT the new stuff that you get on the boat. It was older, didnt include a computer and the bc's were a lower model then what was on the boat and wasnt even weight integrated. We brought her gear with us to hawaii, but left it at the condo when we went to rent gear because she liked the stuff on the boat. By the end of the day, she wished she had her gear.

[The day I was on board, I was creeped out by the captain. I was also spoken rudely to by one of the DM's when I asked to not dive a site that I could (and probably had many times) dove from shore.]

Both days they asked where we have and where we have not dived. And figured out our second dive from the answers.

Jeff

Pissing contests don't work for me, as much as I would love to I have never ever never been able to piss into my wetsuit. Trust me, I really really want to. My mother must have messed me up or something.

I don't care for Scuba Shack. They are quick to tell you how Rodales readers voted them the top scuba shop of the year. Of course they neglect to tell you what decade that vote occurred and that it was while someone else owned the shop.

I've seen their boat decay and fall apart over the years. It went from a top class operation to a shadow of it's former self.

My thought on braggers is this. Operations who brag on themselves usually have little to brag about because if they did, others would be doing the bragging for them.

You are the first person in many years that has bragged about Scuba Shack. It's great that you left happy. But from your profile it appears you couldn't have had much experience with many operators. As you try others on Maui, especially the one you couldn't get on with, you'll soon forget SS.

Back
Top Bottom