"Head mounted snorkel"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the PV (single hose snorkel) is 19 inches from the center of the mouthpiece to the bottom of the air opening. The cubic volume falls well within CE requirements.

The product is shown in the water with a diver.

Funny, I don't see a diver in the video.

:D

I don't use a snorkel enough to warrant this device, but the hands free light is nice. What is the range of light diameter that it will hold?

PH

There are several concerns that make the idea of a headmounted "hands free" light a complete non-starter for divers...

• The fact that I MUST move my head to move the light beam - would drive me nuts.
  • The fact that the light beam WOULD move with every movement of my head - would drive me AND my buddy nuts
  • Lack of ability to effectively use the light as a signalling device - imagine trying to signal "OK" by making a circle with your light
  • The innability to point the light up, under, or over something I was trying to look into/under/through
  • The innability to point the light from a lower, higher, or otherwise offset-position to eliminate "backscatter" in silty or particulate-rich water (like mounting a flash away from your lens on a camera)

A classic solution for a problem that doesn't exist. You can see where someone would think the idea looked great on paper, but it fails in actual execution.

Walter,

For those of us not educated in this, can you explain what you mean by it being to long to be safe?

I understand that there has to be a range of volume of airspace to make a snorkel useful but I don't know any of the details of how that range is determined or what it would be.

As tot eh device itself, like split fins, I'll withhold judgment until/unless I try it.

Walter,

For those of us not educated in this, can you explain what you mean by it being to long to be safe?

I understand that there has to be a range of volume of airspace to make a snorkel useful but I don't know any of the details of how that range is determined or what it would be.

I'm assuming Walter's referring to the fact that if the snorkle is too long the user will not be able to adequately move enough fresh air through it, resulting in a build up of carbon dioxide in the "tidal volume" of the snorkle. Using it over time will result in the user breathing an increasingly lower percentage of oxygen and an increasingly higher level of carbon dioxide.

Most likely this will do nothing but increase fatigue and provide a whopping headache if used for a long enough period of time. However, if doing any sort of "diving down" with the snorkle this can increase the likelihood of shallow water blackout, etc.

To have a really effective marketing campaign for this item, you'd need "Vince" from Sham Wow,and the guy from Pocket Fisherman to co host an informercial. Maybe add a revolving light to the top to warn boaters of your presence,,,,,

To have a really effective marketing campaign for this item, you'd need "Vince" from Sham Wow,and the guy from Pocket Fisherman to co host an informercial. Maybe add a revolving light to the top to warn boaters of your presence,,,,,

And if you buy a Head Mounted Snorkle in the next ten minutes I'll include two free Sham Wow's to dry it off when you're done snorkeling!

vinceshamwow.jpg

shamwowclean.jpg

Back
Top Bottom