He unavailable - DeepAir again?

Your dealing with unpurchaseable He, if so?

• No problems with purchasing He here.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Hard to get He - so I practice DeepAir up to 210ft

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Hard to get He - so I practice DeepAir below 210ft

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Hard to get He - depth limit is 120ft with air

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • He hard to get= expensive so I got a CCR

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion of GUE is wrapped up in that little bakers dozen article that I read years ago. Closed minded group of folks - while they have some great methods and ideas - they come off as arrogant and extremely narrow in their thinking. In my humble opinion, in the general tech diving world, you will be far safer truly understanding what you are taught verses memorizing what you are taught because what you are taught, doesn't apply to all dives.
It's a shame if you judge the GUE community based on a single hyperbolic guy who loved trolling internet forums and is no longer affiliated with the community.

In contrast, I have found the GUE divers, instructors and communities I've come across to be very open minded and generous. And while they have very high standards and like to stick to team protocols, if there was one thing that was stressed in my Fundies class it was to always be a thinking diver - always understand why you do what you do. The standards are there to minimize human error or make you fail safely, not to make you stop thinking.

I dont think I’ve ever read something that dripped arrogance and condescension quite like that.
I am a GUE diver and I agree 100% that that blog post is dripping with arrogance and condescension. It was written more than 16 years ago and, as @steinbil says, I don't think it is representative of current GUE attitudes or the culture in the GUE organizations I have been part of.

Seldom, in these discussions pertaining to using He mixtures for dives to Deep Air depths, is mentioned the risk of helium bends. Personally, if I still dived beyond 130 ffw, or if I ever return to diving below 130 ffw, I wouldn't hesitate to work back to diving air to ~165 ffw. I used to be able to tolerate the nitrogen narcosis from air at that depth (and deeper). And with deep air, there is no risk of helium bends (which can be much more debilitating than nitrogen bends, I understand).

FWIW.

rx7diver

I am a GUE diver and I agree 100% that that blog post is dripping with arrogance and condescension. It was written more than 16 years ago and, as @steinbil says, I don't think it is representative of current GUE attitudes or the culture in the GUE organizations I have been part of.
If I recall it even predates GUE.

So this means: ean80 is as good as oxygen? Nice to know. There are + and - arguments for both.

Also for air to 45-50m. I really hate if people decide for me what gas is the best. And for safety issues, there is no difference for example in diving 18/45 at 55m and 18/35, except you pay way more less with only 35% helium.

DAN Europe Bronze is up to 40m on air.
DAN Europe Silver is up to 60m on air (if certified) up to 130m for any technical diving.
In the FAQs section it specifically says:
“Will I be covered if I plan a dive using a partial pressure of oxygen of 1.6ATA?”
Yes, you will be covered since the gas partial pressure of 1.6ATA Oxygen and 5.6ATA Nitrogen are confirmed to be safe. Notwithstanding, it is medically recommended to use a gas partial pressure of 1.4ATA Oxygen and 3.95ATA Nitrogen in the breathing mixture.

I think it's kinda comical listening to people get all worked up about an article written 20 years ago as if it's something new.

p.s. the subject of the author, his actual affiliations, and his method of delivery has been addressed multiple, multiple, multiple times here.
:deadhorse:
:)

I think it's kinda comical listening to people get all worked up about an article written 20 years ago as if it's something new.

p.s. the subject of the author, his actual affiliations, and his method of delivery has been addressed multiple, multiple, multiple times here.
:deadhorse:
:)
I wasn’t there at the time.

Shouldn’t we save a collection of these articles for fun reading? 😂

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom