Hawaii Vacation information please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muncho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I am planning a trip with my wife to one of the islands in Hawaii during the summer.
I am a scuba fan, she loves to snorkel; probably rent a cottage or a house.
Which island/town would be recommended for these activities?
Not bringing the kids, want to rent a Jeep and also hike;
Want to avoid the all-inclusive, all-look-alike places.
thanks for anyone's advice

Muncho

I would go to the Big Island and spend your first 2 days in or near Volcano and see the National Park. Them get a condo in Kona and spend the rest of the trip diving with Big Island Divers. Don't miss Da Poke Shack... Best quick lunch spot!

If you're looking for a condo reccomendation, we like this one: http://www.bandkscondo.com/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

We usually go to the North Shore of Oahu. It has become almost a home away from home. Lots of good shore diving and you can also take boat trips out of Haleiwa Harbor. We have used Surf and Sea and Deep Ecology...between the two we keep going back to Surf and Sea. Charly has always been a great guide. If you need a guide on Oahu, check with Marco Dickson. I'm not sure of his shop these days but his facebook is: https://www.facebook.com/Black3000psi?fref=ts

If you are going to the Big Island, check out this rental: Captain Cook Vacation Rental - VRBO 62707 - 1 BR Kona Coast House in HI, Tranquil Hideaway Cottage So Kona Free Scuba & Snorkel Tours
I have never stayed here but if on the Big Island it would be my choice...plus free, guided shore dives. My kind of place.

Dive safe and have a great trip. If you need more info, just ask. There is plenty of info and recommendations for the Islands.

Great recommendations for sure....... North shore of Oahu has plenty to dive from shore and snorkel at Shark's Cove, Firehouse and 3 tables area. I think Shaka Doug has a condo to rent on Maui and you could talk to him too if he chimes in here on the thread. Otherwise, just search for him here on the board. He can arrange shore dives on Maui and is a very good knowledge bank of all things Maui.

Hope you have a great trip!

G

Here on Oahu, you can rent a Jeep but there are precious few places to really have fun with one. Kauai, Maui, or the Big Island would be better for that sort of thing (get good damage waivers for the Jeep and then have a go at the trail/road up to the Waialeale waterfalls). Hiking wise, Oahu has some great stuff (Stairway to Heaven, Three Peaks, some others of note) but Kauai is better for that, too.

Diving wise, BI or Maui are probably better reef/critter dives (Kauai has Niihau). Oahu has the wrecks, though, plus the lava formations/tubes of the North Shore.

Last edited:
Just got back from Maui and the Big Island.
Previously we have also been to Oahu and Kauai.

For the broadest range of activities…I suggest the Big Island.
Desert to rain forest and an active volcano for hiking.

Hilo side is more laid back – it has some shore diving and now has three dive shops.
One of the shops is developing some boat diving as well.
Also has a dive club which has a group shore dive first Sunday of the month.

Kapaho tide pools to the south of Hilo is a pretty easy to get too snorkel spot.

Kona side has a multitude of dive shops and operators – we went with Kona Diving Company and found them to be excellent.

At your dive count number – I would probably investigate some more advanced options with Jacks Diving Locker.

Kona feels much more touristy. Try south of Kona for more laid back VRBO rentals (Captain Cook). Watch the altitude of the rental locations though if you planning a lot of diving.

Saddle road across the middle of the Island is now open to rental vehicles, well at least with Alamo. Otherwise you drive around the circumference.

The car rentals we had were through Discount Hawaii Car Rental Maui Car Rentals Honolulu Kona Kauai Hilo Waikiki and they ended up being through Alamo, with a few hundred dollars savings.
Though, we didn’t rent a jeep, just a compact and an intermediate SUV.

Last edited:
I was in Oahu a few months back. The diving was pretty impressive, I stayed near Waikiki so we used a boat. The ride was only about 15 minutes and the sites were great. Dove the Sea Tiger, and a few reefs. There were tons of sea turtles and eels. As for exploring there is a beautiful little water fall in a park. It takes 30-45 minutes each direction hiking on a decent (but still wildernessy trail). Also for a more exerting, but beautiful climb, Koko Head Crater was out of this world. Koko Head.jpgTurtle.jpg

Aloha,
Happy to hear that you're coming to the wonderful sunny South Pacific and the Hawaiian islands this summer. The Big island (Hawaii) features a lot of what you're looking for (from what you wrote in your post).
Hiking is abundant and beautiful here on the Big island. I'd recommend the book "Big Island Revealed" (I believe it's in the 6th revision now) for tips and directions to the best trails. I use it frequently and have found it very useful. It's available here at Costco.
As for diving, the Big island is some of the best diving in the world and home to the Manta Ray night dive (consistantly rated in the top 3 dives in the world). This Manta Ray night dive is the primary reason the Aggressor fleet put their Kona Diver live aboard boat here.
Diving is abundant with a number of great dive operators here on the island. Most are located in the Kona area, where we dive 365 days a year.
A simple search of Google will return numerous rentals for accommodations. Prices are highest at the resorts North of Kona at Waikola (30-40 minutes from Kona). There is the Hilton, Marriott and 5 star Fairmont.
Prices are lower South of town in the Captain Cook area. No Hotels, but plenty of Bed and Breakfast places. High season here is November - January and June / July.
May and September are our "slow" months.
I've been diving here for over 30 years and Love the wonderful diving here on the Big Island.
If you need further information or help, drop me a note. I'll try to help you out with contacts or more in depth info.
Aloha,
Tim

P.S. I'm a PADI instructor and Charter Pilot. I fly air tours around the island and to private charters to the neighbor islands.

Hi,

I am planning a trip with my wife to one of the islands in Hawaii during the summer.
I am a scuba fan, she loves to snorkel; probably rent a cottage or a house.
Which island/town would be recommended for these activities?
Not bringing the kids, want to rent a Jeep and also hike;
Want to avoid the all-inclusive, all-look-alike places.
thanks for anyone's advice

Muncho

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom