Hawaii Sept 08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bloat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading to Hawaii early in September, Can anyone tell me expected wether conditions as well as water temp, viz, etc. Also is there a general guide to what types of dives can be found in different parts of Hawaii eg deep, macro, drift, wreck, etc, etc. I know nothing at all about the area but am heading there regardless for a family reunion and would love to take my gear and sample the diving.
Any info greatly appreciated.

It depends on where in Hawaii you are going. There are 4 major islands with differing conditions.

There is a lot of information available in the Hawaii O'Hana community forum. You have lots of time to read up. There is one Maui thread I would stay away from, though. Lots of bickering there.

:search: Even looking at a couple dive magazines or dive mag web sites could help you answer the really easy Q's and give you an idea what Q's really need to be asked.

Which island are you going to, and how much time do you have set aside for diving? Do you have time to travel to more than one island?

With this info, you'll get more detailed answers.

As a VERY general answer, you can dive pretty much year-round in Hawaii, on the leeward sides of the islands. Water temp (and air temp!) varies from place to place, but water should be "in the 70's" in most places that time of year... and a 3mm or 5mm full wetsuit works fine for most people. The water in Hawaii is often a little bit colder than people expect, especially if making multiple dives.

Visibility and general water conditions can vary with the weather, but again are almost always better on the leeward coasts (because they are the leeward coasts! :D ). Where I live, 60 feet of vis is a "pretty decent day", but in Kona would be a really "bad" day!

You can do all of the types of diving you mentioned, somewhere in Hawaii :D

Good luck with your research!

I'm heading to Hawaii early in September, Can anyone tell me expected wether conditions as well as water temp, viz, etc. Also is there a general guide to what types of dives can be found in different parts of Hawaii eg deep, macro, drift, wreck, etc, etc. I know nothing at all about the area but am heading there regardless for a family reunion and would love to take my gear and sample the diving.
Any info greatly appreciated.
I think the form of your questions indicates a common misunderstanding of Hawaii, the assumption it is a small place. Actually it is a vast place for such a small amount of acreage.

The islands vary greatly in size, dive conditions and factors affecting, the kinds available and consistency diveable, topside activities, dive operators and how they operate, shops, climates, topography (ocean and island.) Travel between islands is mostly by air so cuts into dive time as well as just traveling from one side of an island to the other may.
The most constant is the general temperature (tropical), diving (good year round) and spirit of Aloha (enormous.) The only general guide available is by island and includes diving in Activities (here.)

You’ll really need to define your skill level, what you expect from an OP (or not – wishing only shore dives) how much time you have to kill, and of it wish to be diving, prioritize your dive type wish list and what island you are renunioning on (where either beginning or ending) to get much help from us.

Expect at least the high 70's for water temp, in Kona it's been 81/82 in the water the last couple of Septembers, some years as high as 83 that month. For wrecks you are primarily looking at Oahu and Maui, here in Kona we've got most everything but wrecks (we've got an old beechcraft, a cement hull and a landing craft stashed in deeper waters but little else, none of these are dove frequently).

Have fun,

My wife and i have done most of certs together with Padi getting AOW, deep, nitrox. Karen has about 60 dives and i have about 130 so we are beginning to feel quite comfortable. We will be there for about 2 weeks and dedicate a few days diving and travel if required. We won't be on a diving holiday but a holiday with some diving if you know what i mean.
As already stated water temps in the high 70's, good vis, wrecks at Oahu and Maui. This was the general sort of info i was after to lessen all the search material to go through. So thanks for the replies.

Aloha Bloat!

We do have a reference section with some info that has been collected from direct posters and various threads. This might also give you some ideas for your trip :wink:

Aloha,
Lisa

I am back from my trip to Hawaii, we ended up spending our time between Hilo & Kona. A great time was had by all. I only managed to get a Manta Ray dive in with Jack's Locker as i was carrying an injury. What an awesome experience! The areas on land we saw were amazing and would love to return to do some diving and relax in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom