Having a hard time finding a scuba friend, among other concerns!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superhuman Unknown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello!

Scuba diving has been something that piqued my interest since I was a kid. Watching shows on public access TV with people diving deep in the water in the mornings was a highlight for me. For many years I've considered finally taking the plunge (no pun intended) but several things have prevented me from actually getting certified:

1. I'm steadfast on finding someone local and around my age who I can befriend, who either wants to learn to scuba dive, or someone who already knows how. I find it great to have a friend who also dives for encouragement and for pointers.
2. I'm very quick to the trigger when it comes to experiencing anxiety or becoming frustrated, especially while training. My fear that during a dive, my frustration will turn into panic, thus risking my life and others. After talking to a few people at various shops it seems like there is no clear cut answer to teaching how to avoid anxiety or what to do if you are experiencing anxiety/panic while on a dive, which concerns me.
3. San Diego seems to have several dive shops, which for me makes it hard to choose which one to get certified. They all seem to be the same to me, but they all offer classes at different prices, offer different perks, have different class sizes and offer different discounts. I don't know if paying extra for "better" teachers is the way to go or just go with what's more convenient.
4. I don't drive. I have somewhat of a moral and a economical reason I don't drive, and I understand that this creates a few problems, namely with transferring equipment, let along getting from dive shop to pool to the dive site(s). To me it's more a hassle for everyone else, and thus I don't want to create that for anyone.
5. It seems like there is so much equipment out there, it's extremely hard for me to tell what's good, what's bad, etc. for me. Are there any pointers that you could give as to what to check for, for example, masks, snorkel or a wetsuit?

Last edited:
Maybe you should do a try dive first, instead of shelling out for an entire course if you're worried about your anxiety. Other than that, the best way to prevent panic in a situation is to practice skills and drills in the water so they become second nature.

Hello!

Scuba diving has been something that piqued my interest since I was a kid. Watching shows on public access TV with people diving deep in the water in the mornings was a highlight for me. For many years I've considered finally taking the plunge (no pun intended) but several things have prevented me from actually getting certified:

1. I'm steadfast on finding someone local and around my age who I can befriend, who either wants to learn to scuba dive, or someone who already knows how. I find it great to have a friend who also dives for encouragement and for pointers.
Why does it necessarily have to be someone your age? Don't limit yourself. Look for someone maybe out of your class or who has experience & can help guide you. Looks for another safe diver. You are in the area of the "Birth place of recreational diving" There should be diving clubs around.
2. I'm very quick to the trigger when it comes to experiencing anxiety or becoming frustrated, especially while training. My fear that during a dive, my frustration will turn into panic, thus risking my life and others. After talking to a few people at various shops it seems like there is no clear cut answer to teaching how to avoid anxiety or what to do if you are experiencing anxiety/panic while on a dive, which concerns me.
First, find out why you are so quick to suffer panic or anxiety. You are correct,... to panic can cause possibly severe injury or worse. Make sure you are 100% comfortable in & under the water & with breathing while the face is submerged. Practice the skills you learn until they are completely second nature & locked into muscle memory. You may even want to look at a private lesson, as the instructor will be able to give you the 1 on 1 time you sound like you need. In the end,.... only you can decide how you react to stressful situations (& yes, it is a choice). You can calmly work through an issue, or you can panic, the choice is yours.
3. San Diego seems to have several dive shops, which for me makes it hard to choose which one to get certified. They all seem to be the same to me, but they all offer classes at different prices, offer different perks, have different class sizes and offer different discounts. I don't know if paying extra for "better" teachers is the way to go or just go with what's more convenient.
Interview both the shop & the instructor, in fact, interview several. Find out all the details of the course that you can. Maybe, watch the perspective instructor teach a little, to see if his/ her style is compatible with your learning. Look for the details in their lectures & skills teaching. The instructor makes or breaks the course. The training agency the instructor teaches for should be WAY down on the list of important things. Don't just go with the cheapest. Go for the best quality you can. There are differences, but they may not be obvious until you see them in action.
4. I don't drive. I have somewhat of a moral and a economical reason I don't drive, and I understand that this creates a few problems, namely with transferring equipment, let along getting from dive shop to pool to the dive site(s). To me it's more a hassle for everyone else, and thus I don't want to create that for anyone.
I'm not knocking your lifestyle decision, but do realize that it may cause some problems. Maybe you might be able to look at a certain place to store your equipment in an area where you may frequently dive. Where there is a will, there is a way.
5. It seems like there is so much equipment out there, it's extremely hard for me to tell what's good, what's bad, etc. for me. Are there any pointers that you could give as to what to check for, for example, masks, snorkel or a wetsuit?
The best way to know what is best, is to ask your instructor,.... but don't buy immediately. Try on several different types/ styles, if the shop will let you, or through the rental fleets of different shops. Find what works for you. The big thing to remember about equipment,.... it needs to fit well & be comfortable, FIRST. If it does not fit & is not comfortable, it will not help your diving experience. The rest is just gravy. Mask should fit & not leak, snorkels are pretty basic & wetsuits should fit like a second skin (tight) without interfering with breathing or motion.

The dive shop you choose should be able to walk you through most of this,... That is why I suggested to interview several.

Hope that helps you out a little.

Maybe you should do a try dive first, instead of shelling out for an entire course if you're worried about your anxiety. Other than that, the best way to prevent panic in a situation is to practice skills and drills in the water so they become second nature.

I've heard of the Discover Scuba courses which sounds pretty interesting. But you think a dive shop will offer me a dive, say, in their pool for free just to see if I'd like it?

I would highly recommend the Discover Scuba dive. I your do well with that, then consider the full course. And no, unless the shop is super friendly, I don't think you'll get it offered for free. I think here, on the East Coast, it runs around $75, but I could be way off. Good luck, whatever you decide...

That is discover scuba

i've heard of the discover scuba courses which sounds pretty interesting. But you think a dive shop will offer me a dive, say, in their pool for free just to see if i'd like it?

I would try Discover Scuba first to see how you do and take it from there. If that does not work, try your superhuman powers.

1. I'm steadfast on finding someone local and around my age who I can befriend, who either wants to learn to scuba dive, or someone who already
knows how. I find it great to have a friend who also dives for encouragement and for pointers.

I am sure you did not mean befriend. ill give you that one. At this point of your diving career , looking for a friend or someone that complements you in a photo op is not a concernable issue. finding some one like your self is not an aid to diving,, it is a hinderance. you need someine experienced, to tell you what you are doing right and what need corrected for you to engage in this sport safely. participation alone does not make you a winner in the real world, including diving. i know that breaks the california "im ok, your ok" doctrin. Not to say that this is rocket science, but this sport can be a life ending education unless you do it right. it is no different than sky diving. a mentor is not necessarily your best friend. there is an old story that i wont go through that has the moral of "NOT EVERYONE THAT CRAPS ON YOU IS YOUR ENEMY, NOT EVERYONE THAT GETS YOU OUT OF CRAP IS YOUR FRIEND. Find some one that wil help you attain your goal of being a safe diver. You can find a friend in the club. Make that your only litmus test.

This is where you may want to do the discover course. if you are panic prone and anx in the pool you should end your divng aspirations for the benifit of your self and others..

I would suspect that at your level of training any of the shops are about the same, but ask around and meet the instructors and week out the ones that you hcave a true conflict with. remember the friend and enemy thing. You have the best reasource right here to get input on the various SD shops. there are more instructors on theis board than you can shakewhat ever californians shake at things. I have never dealt with shops in SD. so i am no help there. and the only one i remember is one on midway dr.

What ever the reason you dont drive is yours whether it is an o-zone or you hate to see junk yards problem. What does concern me is that you are bringing too much baggage in to this decision process. Which also suggests you will have the baggage clutter at a time you have to make a time sensitive decision underwater. Like if i give my buddy my reg will i get germs. And in fear of those germs you tell your buddy he is on his own.

5. It seems like there is so much equipment out there, it's extremely hard for me to tell what's good, what's bad, etc. for me. Are there any pointers that you could give as to what to check for, for example, masks, snorkel or a wetsuit

this board is full of threads on this issue. perhaps you need to answer yourself some questions. What kind of diving areyou planning on doing. What king if protection do you need, no not that but kind of related, wet suit dry suit ect. How often are you going to be diving. How many times do you want to buy new gear. jacket bc of bp/w (the way to go). I am biased as are many to using a back late and wing. it is probably the cheapest route to goand the most flexable thing you will dive with. you can probably get one for 2-400. basic gear anoher 1-200 and talk to people before buying it. many shops will let you take gear out on a test dive before buying. if you need to use thier training pool. for regulators i use scuba pro mk25's not a cheap reg and not by any measure a standard i wish to pass to you. talk to the tech people on regs. a hog is much cheaper and most likely works just as well. the tech folks go deeeeep with these things. and reliability is what the tech folks are all about. enough said on that.

Diving is not an instant gratification sport. Much if it is obviuos to new comers. Much more of it is not. If you look at the age group that predominates the diving areana you will find that over 1/3 is 50+ yo's who have been diving for decades. the group with the highest accident rate is , well i willlet you look that up. once again who do you want for a buddy and mentor. Part of that is because of what is cool and what isnt, and the financial cost is not what a college student with all sorts of oblications can additionally take on with comfort with out mommy and daddy fotting the bill. and again that is a lead in to how many times do you want to buy better equipment.

Hope this helps some. good luck. let us know how you progress

Diving requires a commitment in both time and money..If short on either diving may not be in the cards for you.

If you travel and stay at resorts check with them as sometimes they offer the discover scubas for free. I know places in Oklahoma (Does not help you I know) but they do free discover scubas. Its a call and see game so you just have to pick up the phone and shop around. Like you I had anxiety issues when I started diving because I could not swim. But with time and patience I not only learned to swim but have become a divemaster in the process :) Be patient and listen to some advice but remember one thing too. Like anything else you can get bad advice and I have seen my fair share of it on here. Just cross check the advice among more then one person.

A good person you may talk too and I have a lot of faith in is halemanō and he is on the scubaboard too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom