Having a hard time finding a scuba friend, among other concerns!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off, you might want to do a Discover Scuba, as everyone has said . . . but I'd ask first if you have done any swimming and snorkeling? I'm pretty sure there are places you can do those things in Southern California, and find out if you like the water, and if what's in it appeals to you. Once you have snorkeling down (can clear a snorkel, and clear a mask) you've gotten through a couple of the biggest anxiety-producing issues for new divers.

Second, if you tend toward being anxious, don't sign up for a cheap, big class anywhere. Such classes almost never have the time to slow down for a student who needs to process things in a more leisurely fashion. If you want to be successful, pay more and go for a small class or a private one.

Third, when you say you don't drive, do you mean you don't know how or have a license, or that you don't have a car? I know there have been some people up here in the Seattle area who live without cars, but rent a FlexCar when they want to go diving. I don't know how hauling gear on public transportation would work, but it would also make keeping a schedule challenging, I think.

Lastly, you don't need a buddy when you start. You MAKE buddies in your classes, and by posting on places like ScubaBoard or other, more local boards. I have a significant amount of social anxiety disorder, but diving has brought me a whole slew of new friends (and helped with my anxiety issues about strangers, too!)

If it really is something that appeals to you, I'm sure you can get advice in your local subforum about good and patient local instructors. But I'll reiterate: If you are someone who is unlikely to breeze through, spend time on a snorkel first, and don't try to get through on the cheapest class you can find.

Everyone else has covered your questions fairly well. I'm only going to address the panic anxiety issue. If you were told by a shop that there is really no way to address that they are wrong and you should stay away from those shops. A good instructor will cover the panic cycle in detail and give you tools to address it. They will be able to indentify what triggers it in many cases and tailor your instruction to work on those areas. Find an independent instructor who is patient and has a reputation for working with people who have challenges.

I don't understand the not driving thing though. Around here most people who can or will not drive would have a hard time diving.

I started diving a year ago....so I understand many of your concerns. The previous posts have had a lot of good advice that I would like to second:

First, do your homework. Research the dive shops that are in your area. Talk with them about the length of the classroom work, the pool time, and the number and length of the open dives. Pick the shop that seems to understand training the best. They may be the most expensive or the least expensive. Quality is not determined by price or certifying agency. As you start to narrow down your search ask to talk with the instructor that will be providing instruction. Have a long discussion with the instructor about experience, training theory, and what will he/she do if you find challenges in the course and need more assistance than what can be provided in class. Choose your dive shop to train with.

Second, take a Discover Scuba class or equivalent with your selected dive shop. Many times they will apply the Discover Scuba fee to your course fees. Many people take a scuba course and seem to disappear, maybe warm water divers, maybe diving isn't the addiction they had hoped for. At this point you will know if you are addicted and this is the coolest, most exciting thing you have ever done, it is boring, or it is the most terrifying experience you have had.

I have seen people take the entire course and decide that they are so stressed when diving, it isn't their sport. And that is okay. You will have very definite feelings about Scuba after the Discovery Scuba course. Good luck and if it happens to be your addiction, welcome to DIVING!

Buddies is no problem. The dedicated scuba divers will go diving at the drop of a hat. If you are in a class with a number of students, some of them may become your buddy. In the beginning find some of the experienced divers. Many of them enjoy getting new divers started in the sport and they are always looking for a reason to dive. You can learn so much in just a few dives with a good, experienced buddy. Stay in contact with the other students in your class, eventually you will have many dive buddies.

Last edited:
Questions like yours are why I wrote my book that is noted in my signature line. Often new or yet to be divers have questions and concerns that are not adequately addressed and they make decisions on poor, little, or downright bad info. They have no real guidance. I tried and think succeeded with my effort. Nearly all of your questions and concerns as well as some you don't know you have are covered. Including a chapter on what to expect in a class, what you need to bring to the table as far as attitude and it even addresses how mental and emotional aspects affect you as a beginning diver and later as well. Diving is not for everyone and I am not going to post entire sections here but for a short excerpt read this from the chapter on safe diving practices:

"
At some point you decided to take up SCUBA diving. Hopefully, when you made this decision youconsidered whether you could afford the time and money that it required, and whether it’s something youreally want. Since you’re reading this, you most likely answered yes. Perhaps without realizing it, youalready started using safe dive practices by getting the proper training from a qualified instructor, or at leastdoing the research to find one.

Continuing to have this mindset will go a long way towards making sure your diving is safe and enjoyablefor years to come, as you commit yourself to never going beyond your training and experience. Will you beready to do any dive you wish after your first class? Of course not, but by continuing to get experience andseeking out qualified instruction, the limitations as to where, when, and how you dive will be replaced by moreand more options.

I also hope you have asked yourself if you are physically, emotionally, and mentally able to take on the challenges of SCUBA diving. Ideally, you’ve had a physical within the last year or two, are in relatively goodshape, use tobacco or alcohol only in moderation or not at all, and try to get some type of exercise on asomewhat regular basis. This can be a demanding sport and being in good physical condition, although you don’t need to be a super athlete, can help you avoid injury, reduce the amount of stress, and ensure that youhave fun as well as be safe.

Diving can be mentally demanding, as well. You are about to undertake a sport where you will be using SCUBA gear to exist in what, to most people, is a hostile environment. Hostile, in that we cannot breathe water; we must rely on mechanical means to exist there. As such, we need to realize that at some point something could -- though it is rare -- go wrong and we will need to be able to get out of the situation in order to avoid being injured. For some, this can be a little much. The equipment can seem complicated at first and to some, confining. The mask may bring uneasiness in those who tend to be claustrophobic. Poor visibility can do the same. Such people may need to make adjustments as to type of gear and when they will or will not dive, or even consider another sport."

Okay, now going to address the non-driving issue. Not driving and wanting to dive is a pain in the a*s. I take public transport with my gear quite often (everything but tanks). As soon as I have an extra £50, I'll be getting my provisional license so I can actually get myself to and from dive sites more easily. So, it is do-able without a car/license, but can be tough. I hate the walk home from the train with a bag full of wet gear.

Here in Colorado the going rate for a Discover Scuba class is $20.00 to $25.00 and the shop furnishes all the equipment. That experience is about a 2 hour session, with a brief overview of equipment, coverage of a few safety issues, and then putting on the equipment and seeing what it is like to breath on scuba underwater in a very controlled setting. I lead this class a couple of times a month in my local shop's heated (88 degree) salt water pool. The class is not free. Some dive centers may do promotions where they are 2 for 1, or the like, but I have not seen any "free" Discover Scuba classes.
Before you stress over anything else, you should do the Discover Scuba experience in a pool setting. Don't be looking for information about how to acquire gear, or what to get- that is silly at this point. First, try it. You may find that you love it and can't wait to go forward, or you may find that you have issues that tell you that maybe this is not the time. The truth is, most people who do the Discover Scuba experience love it , but not everyone does. As to finding a friend to do with you, the people to invite are your current friends. If you connect with a local shop you will connect with other divers, but if you want a companion in the discover class, asks a current friend to try it with you. It's a fun, one afternoon outing, not a big commitment. You are adding to your stress through looking too far ahead. Start with the Discover Scuba experience. It will clear up a lot of issues for you. As far as selecting a place, I suggest the nationally affiliated (PADI, SSI, NAUI, DUI, etc) one with the nicest on site pool convenient to your residence. DO NOT do a "resort dive " in the ocean as your first scuba experience. Given your candid self reporting, that is a bad idea. But the pool is the perfect way to see if scuba might be your thing. Leave everything else until after you do that. Let us all here at scubaboard know how it goes!
DivemasterDennis

I've heard of the Discover Scuba courses which sounds pretty interesting. But you think a dive shop will offer me a dive, say, in their pool for free just to see if I'd like it?
There are a couple Sport Chalet locations in San Diego and they do a FREE discover scuba every 3rd Saturday of the month. All you have to do is call to sign up and bring a bathing suit and towel.

Any with urges to post further well reasoned and sincere answers are advised to read the entire thread (imagine that), especially post #14.

Any with urges to post further well reasoned and sincere answers are advised to read the entire thread (imagine that), especially post #14.

Hmm I took that to mean that he asked a question and then edited it out because post #13, posted while he was typing #14, answered the question he had written in post #14. (imagine that)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom