Have you used your dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuber steve

Reaction score
Have you ever been in a situation where you have needed to use your dive knife or any other cutting tools? If you have I'd be intrested how and why they were used. Thanks!

I once had to cut some rope off the boat's prop. In order to do this, I might add, I first had to ask someone on board to pass me the knife from its usual resting place of in the kit bag!
Chris

Someone told me that the dive knife is useful with regards to defending against dangerous Sharks ...

If you see a dangerous looking shark, remove the knife from the sleeve, swim up to your dive buddy, gently stick your buddy just enough to draw blood. Then quickly swim away from the shark ( and your buddy ) at a 180 degree angle.

(just kidding)

I have never used my knife yet and it cost me $200

In the Cayman Islands, you are not allowed to dive with a knife ( so my daughter says, she lives there ) but shears are allowed...

Never used it underwater. But BM's idea sounds good to me. Kind of like not having to out run a bear...just your buddy you are in the woods with.
rich

Use it all the time to cut mono-filament fishing line in and around divesites, have used to to cut some kelp and light rope a buddy was caught in, other then that. nope

I carry shears vs knife. Used it several times to cut line tied to block after search and recovery drills. Used it in one emergency to cut wet suit off non-responsive diver after extraction during CPR.

I husband used his once during my rescue class. He was the victim I was trying to save, the current was ripping so in order to stay put, he had to jam his knife as deep as it would go into the sand, then hold on like superman.

I've only ever used my knife to band on my tank to get attenion of other divers. I use my shears all the time when find fishing line on the reefs ect. Other than that, I haven't really seen a need for them...

Use the knife to call an end to a dive, eg. during a rescue situation, to remove gear. Other than that to to provide some sea urchins to the local fish.......

Yeah, I've used my knife for some monofilament cutting, but switched over to shears about two years ago. Shortly after I did, I got snared in some monofilament on a shore dive, and cut it away easily. Once it was clear, I noticed that the end was still rigged with a three inch hook set through a large piece of mackrel.

I'm very glad that I didn't try to pull myself free from it instead, or the hook would have ended up in my arm pit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom