Have you used your dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rope and net off a propeller. I tossed the dive knife and used a sharpened kitchen knife that the captain used for cutting up fish. I have found that most dive knives are designed for looks not function.

I have managed to hack open fish traps in Thailand to let the reef fish go, but they are made of chicken wire.

Zodiac tether rope wrapped tightly around prop - shears would have been no good whatsoever. Collecting up fishing line from reefs. Feeding sea urchins to fish in shallow waters - some areas they are just a pain, breed by the million and get washed up on the beach, people collect them by the sackfull. Screwing & unscrewing shackle pins.

Diving in NJ is an adventure in monofilament entanglement. I used my knife three times in one dive when I did the RR bridge last year. My legs kept getting bound together by fishing line.

I commonly use a knife or shears during a dive.

In general I use shears about 3 times as often as the knife but I generally carry both.

Less than 1% of the time will I go in the water without at least one, knife or shears. If I take only one it is usually the shears.

yes. picture should be attached.
also had to cut myself free from mono and other
entanglements.

My dive knife has mostly been used to cut tomato slices for sandwiches during surface intervals.

Paula

I've cut monofilament, and I used it to sharpen my pencil to my arm slate. Also, useful for prying bad o-ring off a tank.

downunderjenn:
I've cut monofilament, and I used it to sharpen my pencil to my arm slate. Also, useful for prying bad o-ring off a tank.

We were between dives yesterday having difficulty opening the string cheese package. It was a choice between the dive knife and the fishing knife. The dive knife had never been out of it's holder so i thought it would be cleaner.

Worked fine

I carried a large knife for years and never used it underwater. I did use it to spread goop on bread or crackers on a boat, to cut a steak after a dive, and to clean fish. I switched to a pair of shears and dove with them for a couple of years untill the pivot point rusted shut. Never used them.

Now i carry a very small knife and a z-knife. I check them on occasion, to make sure they are functional. I dive mostly in open pacific water and have not had any encounters with monofilimant (thankfully). A new pair of shears and the big knife stay in the dive bag mostly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom