Have you seen the movie Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nerobanchee:
then the sharks pulled him down, so cool. So, is this even similar to how the real story goes? Did they find bodyparts? Did they find a camera inside of a shark later on like in the movie? Pretty good for the money that was put into it.

In the actual incident, the only parts that are known is that they went out and didn't come back on the boat.

Everything else is a guess.

Terry

Web Monkey:
The only way it could have been better is if they had the guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 sitting in front making rude comments!

Terry

:lol: Mystery Science Theater dudes rule!!!:rofl2:

artusor:
Ugg.

What a bad movie!! I heard peoplesay it was bad, but I also heard of one person (a non diver) who liked it, so I picked up a copy of the DVD when it went on sale.

Jesica Alba is cute, but the movie goes down hill from there. The thing that strikes me is the free-dives that they did for about 10 minutes each. If I could free dive that long, I don't think I'd bother with SCUBA.

Wrong movie, but to continue your perspective, I would say that
they snorkeled that long underwater cause Jessica's buns in that
suit make you heart stop, hence the longer bottom time per breath.

Discuss :eyebrow:

Any movie with the Mystery Science Theater guys rocks, specially after a few beers and popcorn!

rawls:
Ok...Here's my humble and somewhat angry take on this. Sharks are not out to eat people and the number of shark attacks on people is infinitesimal.

Tell that to the men of the USS Indianapolis many of whom were victims of the oceanic (Pelagic) white tip shark.

Now to reality... This from a shark studying friend of mine;

First, the sharks used in open Water were black tip and reef sharks and were shot in the Bahamas (or Bermuda I forget which and am too lazy to load the DVD to find out). These particular sharks, were in fact quite used to humans, as that are part of a school that has been excessively used for "recreational shark dives"....these should not be confused with true Pelagic sharls.... like the blue, white tip, white, the thresher and mako; all of these with the exception, of the bull and the tiger, the above have the most human attack numbers.

Pelagic sharks live in the open ocean, not on reefs and other shallow structure, and tend to look as anything as a viable food source, and have little issue scavenging carrion, or living prey. Tagged fish have been tracked crossing entire oceans during their migration and have been observed eating any living/or dead for that matter, creatures they come across during such migrations

Now back to the movie...yes it was an opinion as to what could have happened after the two were left behind...to date no one has argued that the couple did not return with their charter...willingly or accidentally.

My wife and I watched it, and as a husband/wife dive team we found it amusing...especially the she blame/he blame game, bickering, and eventual support for one another.

The film was more about the breakdown of the human physique under stress...and with that goal in mind...it worked IMHO. When was the last time you saw a flick where the full range of emotions, and dynamics between a married couple are examined in such as barren manner?

Most of it's "diving" related footage was bogus...too numerous errors to mention, but lets start with no SMB, whistle or any of the normal safety gear a responsible diver carries in open water..

The night shark attack, while believable, leaves one wondering why only the husband was attacked.....the wife makes it through without getting bitten...highly unlikely...given their proximity to each other.

As to the "evil" nature...I did not see any attempt to anthropomorphize the sharks. They were not portrayed as evil....just a natural predator doing their thing. Jaws on the other hand...well even Peter Benchley has apologized for writing that stinker.

I, like Catherine, like the flick. the ue of the hand camera in the water gave it a raw, yet intimate perspective, and made it look more like a documentary, than a Hollywood romp.

Anyway, it won't win an Oscar, but was not nearly as bad as Into the Bra...umm Blue or the Cave.

had an original flair...

great description, BTW.

Gary D.:
I would base about 5 minutes of that movie on fact. The rest between the title and ending credits is speculation only. They have no idea as to what happened. So file it under Star Trek.

Gary D.

I agree with you on this total bull----

John

"Between the title and the opening credits" Oh, c'mon. The fact is that it was based on an event that ruined a charter business and stranded two divers in "Open Water". As a diver that was a chilling part of the film for me.

As for the speculation as to their fate? Who knows? Maybe they are living underground now or maybe the film makers got it right without knowing for sure.

Two things to remember that made this cool, the first being the story of making this film. What a trip! Then, the fact that for me (and quite a few others) this was a nice bit of melodrama to munch some popcorn by.

Sea ya!

Storm:
My wife and I watched it, and as a husband/wife dive team we found it amusing...especially the she blame/he blame game, bickering, and eventual support for one another.
Ah, yes - talking about the real killer in the movie... Nagging! :D

Storm:
Most of it's "diving" related footage was bogus...too numerous errors to mention, but lets start with no SMB, whistle or any of the normal safety gear a responsible diver carries in open water..
What was bogus? I don't see many (if any) rec divers packing SMB, whistle and whatnots on their guided vacation dives.

I liked the movie. It had an interesting plot and had diving in it. What's not to like?

Besides, it never claimed to be fully accurate. It was however - based on true events. I'd say it's 50:50 chance they got it right. Nowhere near the Star Trek sci-fi category. (And I liked Star Trek as well.) :D

The film was more about the breakdown of the human physique under stress...and with that goal in mind...it worked IMHO. When was the last time you saw a flick where the full range of emotions, and dynamics between a married couple are examined in such as barren manner?

Well said. It did work on that level and I thought the acting was first rate. Too bad more movies are not as well put together as this one.

Back
Top Bottom