Have you seen the movie Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefered Jessica Alba, I think she did some world class acting in the movie Into the Blue and it will most likely get many many awards. Okay maybe not, but she looks great! I am kind of sick of seeing there "Shark attack" scenes in movies. I too have dove with sharks and would love to see many more on future dives, these movies do not help the cause. I do agree the wife was far too annoying to live, and this is the reason we have sharks. The shark obviously was annoyed too, he is the real hero.

Open water sucked!

TSherman:
I prefered Jessica Alba, I think she did some world class acting in the movie Into the Blue and it will most likely get many many awards. Okay maybe not, but she looks great! I am kind of sick of seeing there "Shark attack" scenes in movies. I too have dove with sharks and would love to see many more on future dives, these movies do not help the cause. I do agree the wife was far too annoying to live, and this is the reason we have sharks. The shark obviously was annoyed too, he is the real hero.

I prefer Jessica also. How could you not.
ointotheblue163as.jpg

"Open Water" basically perpetuates the shark eats man mythos. For what its worth the only redeeming scenes were the actual diving scenes and of course the brief nude scene (IMHO). While supposedly based on the actual events of a couple lost at sea its very speculative about what happened to them and unfortunately heavily points the finger at sharks eatting them. I too saw the other special that discussed the actual couple whose events the film was based on and there was enough questions about possibly faking their demise to warrant further investigation. Either way, I saw it was billed as a new type of "Jaws" thriller. Many divers have drifted for hours after getting caught in a bad current on a dive and are swept out to sea for hours who've never once encountered a shark.

"Into the Blue" while maybe not the best diving film in the world had Jessica Alba (not too shabby in my book) and a decent plotline of salvaging a wrecked druglord's plane. It could have been better but I'll watch it again and not "Open Water".

Fact is they jumped in the water; they did not come back.

Assuming they wanted to come back:
they did not signal the boat, no signaling devices......they were stupid, ignorant and died .

If they did not want to come back:
they managed to set up alternative transportation without others seeing it, they were extremely smart and live happily ever after.

You make up your mind

Ah c'mon! I thought Open Water ruled! At the very least it was fun to watch, and it was only 72 minutes long...

It never claimed to be a documentary, so the fact that it was a bit "Hollywood" shouldn't be a shock to anyone. True or not, the storyline made for a great movie. I mean, it grossed over $30MM and only cost $500K to make. You gotta respect that!

IMHO: I don't think the movie vilified sharks. In fact, I think it did just the opposite. Remember, they were alive for like 18 hours (I can't remember exactly, but it was a long time) before they succumbed to the sharks. It wasn't a story about sharks stalking them and terrorizing them because they are mindless eating machines. But it did not sanitize the situation to protect their reputation. Face it; sharks (in this case I believe they were oceanic whitetips or grey reefs) are opportunistic predators in an extremely competitive environment.

The truth of the matter is, if you are lost at sea...sharks are something that you need to be prepared to deal with.

Jessica Alba = The Bomb.

Stormbringer:
Sorry but "Open Water" just plain sucked!

It had a cute naked girl and unbelievably stupid divers. What could be more fun?

The only way it could have been better is if they had the guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 sitting in front making rude comments!

Terry

LOL!

Web Monkey:
It had a cute naked girl and unbelievably stupid divers. What could be more fun?

The only way it could have been better is if they had the guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000 sitting in front making rude comments!

Terry

I thought it was ok...
Some sharks actually get into a feeding frenzy like in the movie also. I did think that all the mistakes the divers were making were rather amusing though. Why did they take off thier bc's? The guy dropped his knife, go get it??? If a shark did bite the guys foot, it could have attracted more sharks, but probably faster than overnight... I really liked the ending, they both died. The actors' characters were very annoying in my opinion. Well, after the opening scene :wink: I was curiously into the movie. The rest of it was ok, but not as good as the first part of the hotel. I liked how it showed the guy die first, then the sharks pulled him down, so cool. So, is this even similar to how the real story goes? Did they find bodyparts? Did they find a camera inside of a shark later on like in the movie? Pretty good for the money that was put into it.

Back
Top Bottom