Have you seen the movie Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puck:
I'm thinking about taking my kite along next time, it breaks down to the size of a snorkel, is easy to assemble, and I'm thinking that a rainbow box kite on the end of 50' of kite string will make me un-missable.

Ha! Sounds like a good idea. Would be wierd to see though... "What? Is that a kite?" Boats would come from a mile away, just to see what the hell it was! You could also bring a small helium tank on your dives and fill up a sausage-on-a-string if you need to :lol:

I for one enjoyed the movie as well as anyone could enjoy a "B" movie. Yes, it was full of holes & huge mistakes, but enjoyable just the same. Especially as someone mentioned earlier as in husband/wife teams. My hubby & I commented the whole way through on how false this was & oh yeah, that was stupid, lol. We got quite a few laughs out of the movie :lol: & thouroghly (?) enjoyed ourselves.

As far as the ending & sharks eating people, we'll they did say at the beginning (or was it the end?) that yes, the movie was based on actualy facts, but it also stated that as of the date of the movie no one ever has ever discovered what truly happened to these folks, so the divers fate was pure speculation.

I must say this & I absolutley get a giggle each time this question comes up, when people find out I'm a diver & they ask me "Did you see open water". You can see the terror in their eyes, it's so hilarious! :D Of course, seeing their concern, I quickly put their fears to rest :wink:

Check out the following link:http://www.openwatermovie.com/ They sure do emphasize the shark fin on the movie poster and the DVD cover, almost as bad as the famous "Jaws" movie poster. Also they boldly note "BASED ON TRUE EVENTS." Even the movie trailer emphasizes the sharks...with the guy putting his head in a mock up shark mouth and later scenes of sharks swimming around and pulling the guy under. Even the narrator in the trailer says: "You may never go in the water again." Similar to the tagline from Jaw's "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water." Just another cheap use of sharks as a scare tactic by Hollywood in my book.

It's a money making business. They got some from me and you and you and you and...

With regards to the sharks in the movie. Did anyone notice they weren't actually 'diving' with the sharks? They were in a sharks optimal attack position at the surface of the water, shivering from the cold(which the sharks can detect as a sign of distressed and easy prey)... Do I need to continue? Sure it is a movie and dramatic spice was added, but did anyone also hear of the USS Indianapolis? An actual documented WW2 story of about 900 sailors in Open Water for 5 days while sharks are circling and picking them off one-by-one.

Anyway, it was good to see a small budget film cause so much conversation.

stevetim:
..snip..
Sure it is a movie and dramatic spice was added, but did anyone also hear of the USS Indianapolis? An actual documented WW2 story of about 900 sailors in Open Water for 5 days while sharks are circling and picking them off one-by-one.
..snip..

It does help to read the thread before posting.
This was discussed in posts #35, 44 & 48.

Stormbringer:
Check out the following link:http://www.openwatermovie.com/ They sure do emphasize the shark fin on the movie poster and the DVD cover, almost as bad as the famous "Jaws" movie poster. Also they boldly note "BASED ON TRUE EVENTS." Even the movie trailer emphasizes the sharks...with the guy putting his head in a mock up shark mouth and later scenes of sharks swimming around and pulling the guy under. Even the narrator in the trailer says: "You may never go in the water again." Similar to the tagline from Jaw's "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water." Just another cheap use of sharks as a scare tactic by Hollywood in my book.

Yeah, but JAWS is a masterpiece of suspense (you dont see the shark for the first half of the movie and yet 'you know its there' and are terrified), a true great movie. Open water to me is cinematograhic trash. It spells it out too much, leaves nothing up to the immagination. The 'what happened to them' answer is force fed into your brain. BUT, entertaining nevertheless, just to see how stupid people can be (both in the film and as director/producer of the film)

miketsp:
It does help to read the thread before posting.
This was discussed in posts #35, 44 & 48.
I hate reading.

Stormbringer:
Of the Indianapolis crew 887 died and 317 survived and not everyone was attacked by a shark even though they were all in the water for 5 days. We have no idea how many of the 887 were severely injured and died or were dieing as a result of the injuries sustained in the original torpedo attack. In fact it would be fair to say that these sailors died because of the torpedo attack rather than by shark attack. Torpedos destroyed many other ships in WWII and caused more deaths than just those of the USS Indianapolis. Far more deaths by torpedo than by shark, I would suspect. Its funny how many continue to foster the belief of man eating sharks. Under normal circumstances sharks are not out to eat people regardless of what Hollywood and the press continue to report.
Bro, I love sharks but you gotta be kidding. You are taking the biggest screw-up in the history of the Navy and treating it was a clerical error. Do more than google some quick information before you make a statement like that...read the book "In Harm's Way", watch a documentary on the tragedy, and you will change your mind about the role the shark played in that event. Listen to a crewman who, after 60 years, cannot go into the water and still wakes up screaming from fear of the sharks. Do the math, 570 men did not make it out of the water. That's not insignificant, my man.

I agree with you that Hollywood is responsible for continuously blowing the shark's reputation out of proportion. But let's not forget that these are wild animals who have/do/will attack humans. And let's not disrespect the memory of the men of the Indy by slighting the tragedy that ended their lives.

i liked the movie - a good suspense and well played, great indie flix. whether it is based on real events or not - in the "special features" they claim that it's based on an newspaper article about 2 divers who were accidentally left at sea. so the film is the director's interpretation of events, so i view this film from as a fictional story. who cares if it's really happened; it's a movie not a documentary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom