Have you seen the movie Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Es

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I've watched the movie Open Water, and thought that it seems to be a bit exaggerated when the man in the water is "tried" with a bite by a shark, then some hours passed by and when the night comes, he's attacked. Wow! Isn't that a bit strange? Was the shark too curious/hungry to wait until dark?
I never had an encounter with sharks, but I don't think once they "try" human flesh, they wait for hours... to eat...

In any case, this is a movie based on real facts, or at least there's a message saying so at the beginning of the movie.
Anyone with a similar/different opinion?

Cheers,
Karen

Feel free to use the search option.

Regarding "based on true events", the key word is "based". There is a lot leeway interpetting the actual events. If the story is true about the couple, then know one knows what happened in the water while they were "lost". So all the sharks, birds, arguements, etc. are all made up.

It was loosely based on an alleged event in Australia. I say loosely, because there was also a TV documentary about it that brought up many quirks that gave some credence to the possibility that the couple may have faked their demise. It was (in my opinion) better than the Hollywood/fictional version (other than the brief nude scene in the beginning!)

I would base about 5 minutes of that movie on fact. The rest between the title and ending credits is speculation only. They have no idea as to what happened. So file it under Star Trek.

Gary D.

mheaster:
It was (in my opinion) better than the Hollywood/fictional version (other than the brief nude scene in the beginning!)
YUP, They looked real. :D

Gary D.

The actress was actually bitten making that movie. it was very low budget and I am one of the few people that kinda liked it.

catherine96821:
The actress was actually bitten making that movie. it was very low budget and I am one of the few people that kinda liked it.

I liked it a lot. I wonder if I could get permission to use clips from it for examples of "what not to do"?

Terry

Ugg.

What a bad movie!! I heard peoplesay it was bad, but I also heard of one person (a non diver) who liked it, so I picked up a copy of the DVD when it went on sale.

Jesica Alba is cute, but the movie goes down hill from there. The thing that strikes me is the free-dives that they did for about 10 minutes each. If I could free dive that long, I don't think I'd bother with SCUBA.

artusor:
..snip..
Jesica Alba is cute, but the movie goes down hill from there. The thing that strikes me is the free-dives that they did for about 10 minutes each. If I could free dive that long, I don't think I'd bother with SCUBA.

Wasn't Jessica the actress in Into the Blue? Not Open Water?

Open water was boring and not believable!! (I think, I watched it before becoming certified and didn't believe it then either...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom