Have you seen the movie Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys,
It's Hollywood. So what do you expect from them(besides 3 clones of the movie and endless follow-ups on anything that pays at the box office)

Karen Es:
I've watched the movie Open Water, and thought that it seems to be a bit exaggerated when the man in the water is "tried" with a bite by a shark, then some hours passed by and when the night comes, he's attacked. Wow! Isn't that a bit strange? Was the shark too curious/hungry to wait until dark?
I never had an encounter with sharks, but I don't think once they "try" human flesh, they wait for hours... to eat...

Most shark attacks are one-offs, with a single bite. In most cases they don't seem particularly interested in eating people, especially those coated with neoprene. Thus, a single "trial" bite wouldn't be that unusual. Since there are multiple sharks in the sea, it's not too big a leap to presume that the munching near the end is another shark (or, as it appears, group).

In my opinion, that is one of the LESS exaggerated aspects of the film.

Yeah, "Lost" was a so so dive movie, but unless you live right on the water somewhere in the tropics, you take your fix where you can get it.

Now, "Into the Blue", while it won't earn anyone any awards, had some awesome diving scenes, with, let's just say it, some people that looked pretty nice under water. I especially enjoyed the free dive scenes, which were truely exaggerated and crazy, but, hey, fantacy + diving = WOW, you gotta see this.

Brewone0to:
Hey guys,
It's Hollywood. So what do you expect from them(besides 3 clones of the movie and endless follow-ups on anything that pays at the box office)

Actually, this wasn't really a Hollywood film, it was an extreme low budget film made by a husband and wife team essentially on weekends. That, in itself, makes it something of a unique film whether you like it or not.

Anyone who doesn't like the big budget Hollywood clones should be rooting for films like this one.

I saw it before I was certified, and although it is flawed, it was still worth seeing.

JT

OPen water was OK, sure it wasn't the best movie in the world, but far from the worst. Also you have to consider the two actors in this movie funded this entire movie by themselves and used there vacation time to do the actual filming. Not bad for a couple of fellow divers with no bloated budget or hollywood backup!

Ok...Here's my humble and somewhat angry take on this. Sharks are not out to eat people and the number of shark attacks on people is infinitesimal. But some stupid writer has to write some stupid book, or script, and some stupid producer has to make a stupid movie with stupid actors that once again makes a shark look like the essence of evil. Sharks are beautiful and wonderous creatures and unfortunately VERY endangered. I cannot count the number of times I have dived with as many as 20 or so sharks around, at times close enough to touch. Never once have I, nor any of my friends, come close to seeing an agressive behavior by one "evil" shark. Nor have I heard of one where I dive. But let's go out and make another piece of crap movie that proliferates the image in people's minds of shark and viscious man-eater being one and the same. The reality is shark populations are decreasing at a drastic rate. I guess some people think that's a good thing. After all it will decrease the chance of an evil shark attack...

I liked the movie because of the way it portrayed resort style diving as pointless and cheesy sorta like a theme park/miniture gold park gone bad. The cheesy and amateurish film quality I believe was part of the attraction. Good stuff. N

Back
Top Bottom