Have you ever used scuba equipment you absolutely hated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dacor RIG BCD

I bought one when it first came out, I was a Dacor dealer back then, and I don't think that I used it more than once or twice. If was a fiasco from the beginning.

Any jacket style BCD, since i got the Hydros Pro i feel much more steady.

My first set of fins, bought when I was a brand new diver, were Cressi Frogs. As I got more experienced, I decided that I needed newer, sexier fins worthy of my increased skill. I won't mention what I got because it will stir trouble, but as my skill grew even more, I became less enchanted with those new wonders. I went to the bottom of a storage closet and got out those Cressi Frogs again. Hmm. I found a whole lot to like in their simplicity that I had not liked when I did not know what I was doing. I don't have them any more, but I would not hesitate to take them diving today.

I bought my Santi suit online, unable to try anything on. When I tried the hood on, holy smokes was it painful! I felt it was shoving my jaw back into head. I never got into the water with it. I sent it back and asked them to send me something else, and they sent me another Santi hood. It was the same size, but the stitching showed that it was designed differently. This one was usable, but not great. It got better with time. I still have the Santi suit, but I use a Waterproof hood with it. That one is fine.

My first pair of fins were the Cressi frog plus. Absolute disaster! They were pulling me up the second i stopped finning. I didn't want to add ankle weights so i switched to RK3 that are probably the best fins i have ever tried!

Aluminum tanks when diving with a drysuit in cold water. If I have to use an AL tank with my drysuit I’ll gripe, but I’ll make the dive.

Barefoot fins. If I can’t use booties the dive is canceled.

My semi dry and my 7mm .. i hate them both equally but so far I've only physically punished the 7mm..i shot it with a cross bow and it deserved it.

1. Anything Mares

2. Anything Cressi

3. Any wetsuit thicker than 2mm

4. Soft sole boots

5. Al Tanks

6. Gauge console or any gauge attached to a hose

7. Weightbelts

8. Spit

9. Clear skirt masks

10. Masks with side windows

11. Wetsuits with fabric ankle and wrist seals (instead of rubber)

12. Standard BC cam bands

13. All annoying people that like what I don't like in general

14. Flashing tank lights

15. Anything in pink

16. Any cheap imitation of something good.

17. Viking drysuit

Damn son, are you sure you like diving at all?

ALways remember, nothing is a total loss, it can always serve as a bad example.

I've tossed a few buddies, but never gear. If you don't like a piece of gear, you might not be using it right. Might. I see people cussing gear all the time that is not suitable for what they are trying to do. It's important to use the right tool for the job and that's up to the diver: not the gear. Sure, some items don't get as much use, but that's true of my tool box as well. I went for a long time avoiding full foot fins and a snorkel, but now I wear them just about every day now when I go to exercise in the springs. Big ass boots and stiff fins seem out of place without a tank on my back.

Damn son, are you sure you like diving at all?

ALways remember, nothing is a total loss, it can always serve as a bad example.

Well "Dad,"

I have been diving for 50 years now and I have had the chance to try many things and have seen a great deal of equipment evolution through the decades and I have shaped opinions based on my wide experience. As an instructor/instructor examiner since 1987 and a dive center owner and dive equipment technician, it is my job and responsibility to become familiar with as many types of dive equipment as humanly possible and test as many of them to be able to give advice and recommendations on dive equipment to my students.

You are always entitled to your own opinions on what you like and don't like and don't have to agree with others, it is a free world.

I've tossed a few buddies, but never gear. If you don't like a piece of gear, you might not be using it right. Might. I see people cussing gear all the time that is not suitable for what they are trying to do. It's important to use the right tool for the job and that's up to the diver: not the gear. Sure, some items don't get as much use, but that's true of my tool box as well. I went for a long time avoiding full foot fins and a snorkel, but now I wear them just about every day now when I go to exercise in the springs. Big ass boots and stiff fins seem out of place without a tank on my back.

They maybe using right also and that piece of equipment is a piece of sheit. You can't deny that there are equipment that isn't suitable for human use. I don't understand why you always blame the user not the equipment.

People here are relaying their experience with some pieces of equipment for the diving they are doing and based on their circumstances not yours.

I don't understand why you always blame the user not the equipment.
I ran a student machine and welding shop for the College of Architecture at the University of Florida. I would take great care to show them how to use a tool, be it a lathe, mill or band saw. I would watch them carefully for a few minutes to make sure they were safe and not damaging equipment. I would then leave them, sit at my desk taking care of various things and listen. I could hear the process and knew if they were doing it right just by the sound. I was known for a catch phrase I repeated often when things began to howl: "It's not the tool."

Scuba, like using tools, is all about limits. It's not up to the tool to be used correctly, but the user. If you use equipment that doesn't fit, is ill serviced or not otherwise suitable for the job, you will fail. You can blame the equipment all you want, but they don't have a choice here. You have the choice.

People will tell me how horrible a BC is. Try diving without one. I have. I still often dive without a bladder on my harness. Does that make the bladder 'bad'? I don't rely on equipment to keep me safe: I rely on my skills. Some people hate split fins, yet I have hundreds of dives on them. You have to kick quicker to go faster, not harder. It's exactly the opposite for my cave fins. Each tool has a technique you need to master. If you don't learn it and use the tool correctly, you will fail. You call the tool garbage while I see your technique as lacking. I don't use split fins, because I would rather kick harder than faster especially with heavy gear or towing a distressed diver. It suits my massive thighs and calves. Calling the fins garbage is intellectually dishonest. They just don't work well for me.

It's not the tool. Even when you think it's the tool, it's still not the tool. It's not ever the tool. It's always the user.

My intent was to express a perspective different than most. Perhaps to help you pause and think. I get that people don't like taking responsibility for their decisions and/or actions. I'm different in that respect, I guess. I'm sorry if this offends you. That wasn't my intent, but it's still not the tool.

I ran a student machine and welding shop for the College of Architecture at the University of Florida. I would take great care to show them how to use a tool, be it a lathe, mill or band saw. I would watch them carefully for a few minutes to make sure they were safe and not damaging equipment. I would then leave them, sit at my desk taking care of various things and listen. I could hear the process and knew if they were doing it right just by the sound. I was known for a catch phrase I repeated often when things began to howl: "It's not the tool."

Scuba, like using tools, is all about limits. It's not up to the tool to be used correctly, but the user. If you use equipment that doesn't fit, is ill serviced or not otherwise suitable for the job, you will fail. You can blame the equipment all you want, but they don't have a choice here. You have the choice.

People will tell me how horrible a BC is. Try diving without one. I have. I still often dive without a bladder on my harness. Does that make the bladder 'bad'? I don't rely on equipment to keep me safe: I rely on my skills. Some people hate split fins, yet I have hundreds of dives on them. You have to kick quicker to go faster, not harder. It's exactly the opposite for my cave fins. Each tool has a technique you need to master. If you don't learn it and use the tool correctly, you will fail. You call the tool garbage while I see your technique as lacking. I don't use split fins, because I would rather kick harder than faster especially with heavy gear or towing a distressed diver. It suits my massive thighs and calves. Calling the fins garbage is intellectually dishonest. They just don't work well for me.

It's not the tool. Even when you think it's the tool, it's still not the tool. It's not ever the tool. It's always the user.

My intent was to express a perspective different than most. Perhaps to help you pause and think. I get that people don't like taking responsibility for their decisions and/or actions. I'm different in that respect, I guess. I'm sorry if this offends you. That wasn't my intent, but it's still not the tool.
There's a big difference between something being unsafe and something being disliked by the user.

Back
Top Bottom