• Yes

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 154 73.7%
  • Almost...but it was recovered.

Votes: 30 14.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool:
No, but I kicked someone else's off one time. Said person wasn't very happy with me.

That's what they get for having bad trim. If they were horizontal, all you could have done is kicked their head. :D

Terry

Only 137 people responded to this poll when it was originally posted.

I have never lost a mask and the majority of those answering have not lost a mask.

How about more people (not ones that have already answered this poll) participate? I suspect that it isn't that big of a concern. I'm sure we need to prepare and have the skills, but I don't think it happens that often.

Never lost a mask ... but I've found quite a few over the years. I suspect almost all of them were lost by people who were surface swimming with their masks perched on their forehead. When you're wearing a hood you can't feel it when your mask falls off ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I lost only one mask. Shaws cove, in the maytag.

Never, but I did loan my spare to a diver that arrived on a liveaboard with luggage that decided to take a separate trip for a couple of days. He came back to the boat with it in two pieces, told me it just broke in half part way through the dive. Wanted to replace it for me - but the mask was easily 15 years old so I just tossed it, happy that he had no problems as a result. Glad it was an experienced diver, he just finished the dive with no mask.

Hi,

I lost a mask once in Fiji. I exited the water and was on the ladder. I handed my mask/snorkel to the Dive Master so I could use both hands to grip the ladder. He placed my mask on the side of the boat and a swell tipped the boat and took the mask. I watched it fall down a wall (from the surface). So I guess I left a little piece of me in Fiji!

Why, Did you find mine?
After a bigger than usual step from a boat my camera focus light came loose and in the process of grabbing it a wave hit my mask off (must have been loose already). So if you find a Oceanic Shadow near Portsmouth NH in about 60ft, let me know. I had the spare, but with 2 things already gone wrong and still on the surface I decided to let the group go ahead.

Last edited:
i had my mask kicked off my face in zero vis one night. i did manage to grab it as it fell. once i got it back on it didnt help with the vis at all.

OK, I don't think it falling off the boat counts as you having lost your mask. It is lost, but you didn't do it. I guess I'm thinking this poll is about losing a mask while diving. Or at least while you are in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom