Question CESA - Have You Ever Done It?

Have you ever done a real CESA, not in training?

• No

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right before I started teaching on my own I have a couple of giant classes. One of the classes was being taught by my AI, under my supervision.

I got out of the water with my class, and told her I'd be right back as I needed to change tanks (she was teaching surface skills). I hopped out, changed my tank and opened it, it was about 3000 psi. I walked away for a minute to eat something, came back and put on my wing.

When I got to the water, my AI was raring to go and told the students to descend as I looked at my pressure gauge and saw 1700 psi. Confused I started to descend with the class thinking, "I have enough gas for this dive."

My face was itchy so I removed my mask to scratch it. As I scratched, I felt the familiar stop that indicated that I was out of gas. I tried to breathe one more time, and getting the same result, I swam to the surface to sort myself out. I wasn't uncomfortable or nervous, but by that time I'd probably done 500ish CESAs with students in the pool and in open water.

I didn't vote because I frequently practice CESAs from 30 feet or shallower, figuring it's a skill I should know since I always dive solo, mostly to those depths. There are a few threads on this, particularly posing the question of whether it should still be taught in the OW course and pointing out that you should never be separated from a buddy so should never need to do it for real (equipment failure when separated from a buddy never happens... I guess...). So yes, I've done many voluntary CESAs over 19 years of diving with no ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom