• Yes

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 154 73.7%
  • Almost...but it was recovered.

Votes: 30 14.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If so, how???

Okay, technically I was not underwater but the mask was. I was diving in cold water for the first time (this past weekend) and had on gloves. I took my mask off so I could get my hood off so I could better hear the instructor. After he finished speaking I looked at my hand and realized my mask was not there. :11:

Fortunately, it was in shallow water (3 feet) so I looked around and found it.

The only other time I lost my mask underwater was when someone from a discovery dive kicked me in the face. Lost my reg and mask. Put my reg back in, found my mask, put it back on. It was only 20 or 30 feet of water and crystal clear so it was easy to recover.

Papa Panda once did his giant stride entry off the back of the boat and forgot to put his hand over his mask. Sure enough, it popped off and started sinking. Managed to go over the edge of the ledge we were moored on. Our divemaster went after it and eventually found it, but had to relay it up to the surface via our second divemaster - it'd gone all the way to 100'. :11:

More than once.

When doing training my mask 'disappeared' off my face. It was up to my buddies to make sure I continued and made a safe ascend.

During a dive in a small nasty section of a cave, I was behind my buddy and probably too close to his feet, vis was low....... he kicked it off when reversing.

My brother just certified, swung an arm and hit my mask. This one was scary since it was open water and my mask was getting away from me.

Nope, come close twice..... run over and driven into the bottom by a siltfish
other time was in strong current turned to look for my buddy and nearly lost my mask learned my lesson there! Now I always drop my head and use my shoulders to create a bit of protection from the current before I try to look. I measure the current on that dive by the number of boulders you have to drag out of the bank to slow yourself down enough to stop! You do 2km pretty quickly when it is really running!

Thanks tho this tread reminds me I should do some practice drills just in case...... been a long time....

I had mine kicked off once, but recovered it. :)

Got hit by an up welling on the Steps at Nth. Solitary once. Somewhere between 20mt where it hit me & escaping the wave zone at the surface a few seconds later I realised I'd lost my mask at some point.

I've lost 2 masks and have had my mask ripped off twice as well.

The first mask I lost was during OW training doing my very first beach entry walking backwards a wave came and took it off along with the masks of 2 of the AI's diving with us. I was glad I wasn't the only one walking back up the beach searching for a mask!

I've also "lost" 2 masks during rescue scenarios, the first one was while I was taking the rescue class. I got too close to the "victim" (Our instructor) who proceeded to take off my mask to and see if I could finish the scenario. I did and he handed the mask back to me.

The second time was while assisting during a different rescue class... I was playing "unconscious victim" and the rescuer proceeded to toss my mask away while simulating rescue breaths:shakehead:. I took the rescuer's mask and searched for mine at the bottom of the lake, I may as well searched without a mask! I found the mask by searching with my hands and replaced it at depth.

The second mask I really lost is the one my son (He was 2 at the time) misplaced somewhere in our house!:confused: Does that count? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom