• Yes

Votes: 25 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 154 73.7%
  • Almost...but it was recovered.

Votes: 30 14.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, on one of my early dives my spare was not clipped off in my drysuit pocket. Giant stride in worked it up out of the pocket and it disappeared somewhere on the dive.

Does that count?

On my very first post-certification dive, I had a guy swim right over me and kick my mask to the side of my head.

This was increasingly memorable for me because I had such a horrible time during BOW figuring out the whole mask recovery drill. In fact, it almost kept me from certifying.

However, training works. No panic, no problems. In fact, my first reaction was "dang it (although the word wasn't DANG), I have to do that DANG drill again." After which, I righted and cleared my mask and continued a wonderful dive.

Jan

AqueousSapien:
After all of seven dives, I have yet to lose my mask! :D
\
And seven posts as well. :D

3 times...

1.) Last certification dive - Giant stride off of a dock, off went the mask...now I hold on to it when I take the big leap.

2 and 3.) This week while my son was doing his open water certification dives, he kicked it off both times.

I recovered it all three times and fortunately, that was one of the few skills that didn't ever seem to bother me in OW.

Flatliner
aka Robert

One side of my Slap Strap come loose at 40ft in Costa Rica. Luckily mask stayed on my face, ever had 10 other divers trying to re-thread a Slap Strap at 40ft,I made a controlled ascent got the crew to give me my other mask and finished the dive.

scubafool:
No, but I kicked someone else's off one time. Said person wasn't very happy with me.

Not your fault. They should have been further back.

I have never lost a mask, but I THINK it may freak me out a bit the instant it is knocked off, simply because here in socal the ocean water is quite cold, and each time I do a half fill, or completely remove my mask for practice, the sudden rush of cold water hitting my face always catch me off guard, no matter how much I realize the water will be cold hitting my face. For a quick second by breathing gets off rythm, from the cold shock, and that is with me KNOWING im about to let water into it.

Now if it was to catch me off guard, by being kicked off or taken off by a seal or something, im sure it would be a bit freaky at first then hopefully I will take care of the problem. Just thinking about it happening, I think is a good thing and it sort of prepare me for the sudden surprise.

I never did but after one of my AOW dives as we were about to get out of the water my instructor asked to borrow my mask because he just dropped his. He never found it and it had a colored perscription lens. He did have more masks in his gear (he's a partner in the LDS) so we could finish that days dives. I like to remind him about this from time to time by asking if he ever found the mask.

I lost mine once doing a giant stride. Got down and something just didn't seem right. Dawned on me after a few moments "duh ... no mask" what I couldn't remember was if I left it on the boat or it came off while jumping in. I looked around and saw this blue "blurr" sinking to the bottom, so I swam after it, put it on and had a nice dive :) Now I hold my hand over my mask and reg firmly when I do a giant stride.

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom