Have you ever had to doff and don your rig while diving?

Have you ever had to doff and don your rig while diving?

• Yes

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 50.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not part of the PADI Rescue class.

Yes I realize that, it was more a response to an earlier poster who said they had done it in their Rescue course- agency not specified. Seems a skill that should be taught to the average rec diver at some point in those initial certs. I wouldn't want to be diving around kelp without feeling confident about removing equipment.

We did it off our Glacier Bay because my husband doesn’t allow ladders
(Oahu)
He says if you can’t kip up and get back on the boat he doesn’t want the liability
It’s tricky in rough seas but the trick is always deal with weights first or last.
Hawaiian spearing do it on every dive with a special one shoulder rig

Last edited:
Mostly for gear adjustments...

No big deal.

I respect that, but I've never encountered any necessity for gear adjustments severe enough to doff/don all my gear in mid-dive, nothing that can't easily wait until I'm out of the water and then adjusted before the subsequent dive......just sayin'.

That is a bunch of nonsense. First of all, in any open water class it is usually emphasized that all of the basic skills taught should be practiced for mastery after you get your certification. So the idea a diver does a skill once and then should forget about it is wrong.

Second, since entanglement in either cave line in a cave or fishing line and nets on a wreck, not to mention the other entanglement and passage issues of that type of diving is greater than what the average warm water tourist diver being led by a DM would find, I'd be shocked to learn those skills are not emphasized and practiced in cave and wreck courses. Especially considering the more complex gear configurations required for technical diving.

Finally, you've just read quite a few examples where fellow board members have had to remove their rig. Many with decades of diving experience and then you essentially state they are ****** divers. :rofl3:

Let me ask you something, since your situational awareness is far superior. How are you able to see fluorocarbon under water when no one else can?

Most entanglements are elementary, unless you've never practiced the skill.

Here's an example of an untrained diver dying because he was separated from his group, got tangled and then panicked. He died at 25 fsw with 2200 psi still left in his tank. He had plenty of time. Sad.

Divers Alert Network, Untrained Diver Dies Entangled in Kelp

I carry a Halcyon titanium knife, and separate line cutting tool, and I've never had to use them since I began diving in 2001. As I already mentioned, I don't do caves, natural wreck penetration, or kelp, so I'm not losing sleep over this 'issue'.

I carry a Halcyon titanium knife, and separate line cutting tool, and I've never had to use them since I began diving in 2001. As I already mentioned, I don't do caves, natural wreck penetration, or kelp, so I'm not losing sleep over this 'issue'.
I have been snagged twice by strong monofilament on wreck night dives. The Trilobyte cutting tool performed flawlessly.

these are pretty ingenious in their simplicity and for only $10.00/pair:

Cam Strap Tension Pads are an excellent idea, but they have a design flaw. There needs to be more material around the bottom of slots to prevent the corners from tearing prematurely (see picture). Soft durometer elastomers need all the help they can get. By the looks of it, the tooling used to produce these pads could be easily modified to reinforce these areas. Furthermore, replace the four sharp internal corners of the slot with a full radius. I am on my second pair, but when these go I will be looking for an alternative.

ADD20FD1-5AE4-4A91-9F2D-0F08C3009C07.jpeg

A couple of times for gear adjustment. Once because of monofilament line hooked on my tank stem. I wear a belt and integrated weights. I have not tried it with a drysuit, that seems seems a lot more complicated.

We did several iterations of it in my AI class in 1983. We jumped off a 3m board carrying all our gear and had to put it on. We also had to take everything off, free ascend and then go back down and put it all back on (in 12’ deep pool). I think a lot of it was that it was a semester course and the guy running it was looking for stuff to fill pool time.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate?

I think we can easily imagine the circumstances, thankfully no photos were included.

I had no intention of elucidating further on my initial posting, but my inner 8 year old, awakened, inflamed, spurred on, inspired, goaded, or instigated by recent comments, has led me, much like my younger self in schoolyards many years ago when dared to attempt something foolish, to post the following image. Kindly note that my selection of this particular photograph is in honor of you scubafanatic, as a reflection of your status as a ‘Great White.”

This adult Great White Shark, Carcharodon carcharias, is engaged in the same bodily function that I referred to in my earlier statement on this thread. You will also note that the smaller residents of the area are reacting with the same voracious enthusiasm to her voiding as they did

in response to my own contributions to the circle of life.

Kulick-16-09-07-581 copy.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom