Have you ever had to doff and don your rig while diving?

Have you ever had to doff and don your rig while diving?

• Yes

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 50.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple story. Solo dive in popular area. Not too risky, bc shallow with lots of people nearby, just no buddy (Monterey Bay, CA).

Kelp entanglement. Reached over my head to pull off what I could. No go. Still stuck. Doffed gear, found the culprit strand, donned gear, swam on.

Simple story. Not uncommon among kelp players in CA. Even if not solo, it may still be easier for you to fix issue than have your buddy swim up into the trees and get tangled too.

Before someone says, "Stay out of the kelp!", there are lots of great critters there for macro photo. Stuff happens. No big deal.

And yes - I split my weights. No sense hanging on to your heavy bcd in thick neoprene, when you can each be neutral with combo of integrated weights and belt.

Last edited:
I did once. Somehow the STA came loose and my tank was swinging from left to right. In a 3mm fullsuit it was no problem to slip out and back on.

Yes, first dive off a liveaboard last year I didn't adjust my tank straps correctly for a different size tank and halfway through the dive the tank started slipping out. Down about 30', slipped out of my BCD, adjusted the strap, then donned it back on. Easy peasy.
Even if you never use it, I see it as a confidence builder for most people.

I never once was in a life-threatening emergency that I would truly have to remove my rig underwater to resolve.

However, there were some times I did it as a matter of convenience:
* I went diving in a rashguard with my harness still adjusted for a drysuit, so I took it off to loosen the webbing, then adjusted it better. Spent the safety stop fiddling to get it just right.
* I got a bit of a tangle on abandoned line. It was good line, so I half-removed my gear to untangle it and make sure I recover all of the line and not just one end.
* When diving in the Med off a smaller yacht, it was far safer to don and doff my gear in the water than to endanger myself climbing the ladder in it.

Plus, a lot of times mostly for fun:
* Since you never have to pass through restrictions, does that count? Yes, SM is best for it, but sometimes you just aren't in a SM rig.
* A few times when I wasn't dedicated-diving, I'd doff my gear, pass it to someone else to carry back, and switch to whatever water toy they brought me.
* Lots of times just for practice.

Regarding the original question, it would be nice to hear your analysis if that was the safest/best maneuver to do in that situation...
The question was how important it is to teach this skill in the basic ow course, as part of the very limited skill set that can be fitted into that curriculum. Most OW courses do not include even a simulated entanglement situation, but teach dof/don gear to remedy it...

Only once in 34 years.

It was a wreck dive. My buddy was exploring the deck above where I was and I swam through a door at about 30m/100ft.

.... and became stuck ....

When it was happening I couldn't clearly understand what the problem was. I was unable to move forward, backward or to turn or rotate.

What it turned out to be after the fact is that a flat bit of metal slipped exactly between the K valve and the A clamp of the regulator. I was being held in place by that and unable to wiggle free.

Because my buddy was on the deck above me I was basically on my own. I tried wiggling out of it but decided at some point that it wasn't going to happen. I loosened my kit and got out of it so I could roll over on my back and see what the problem was. At that point my buddy arrived on the scene and told me to "hold and wait". I rolled back in the diving position and waited while he got me out of the bind.

and THAT is the only time in more than 30 years that I even loosened my gear let alone gotten out of it under water.

R..

Have done so several times. Minor gear adjustments usually, but most recently to relieve a bit of gastric distress.

Regarding the original question, it would be nice to hear your analysis if that was the safest/best maneuver to do in that situation...
The question was how important it is to teach this skill in the basic ow course, as part of the very limited skill set that can be fitted into that curriculum. Most OW courses do not include even a simulated entanglement situation, but teach dof/don gear to remedy it...

it doesn't take long to teach. It's important to know how to get out of gear in the water. I think doffing at the surface is more important than in the water, but doing it in the water is a good demonstration of comfort in the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom