Have you ever had to doff and don your rig while diving?

Have you ever had to doff and don your rig while diving?

• Yes

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 50.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but not for myself.

We had an incident a few years ago where two inexperienced divers went into a wreck. They entered thru an open engine compartment near the rear and then got lost and ended up in the wheel house with no idea how to get back out. A diver surfaced and called the Coast Guard and they said they had a cutter in the area that was about 20 minutes out. Both divers were panicked by this time so they were sucking air and we knew they'd be out of air before 20 minutes. It was a sandy bottom and the only "hard" thing I had was my dive knife and tank (soft weights), and the dive knife was too light for the job. So I took off my BC and turned it around and smashed out the glass of the wheelhouse with the bottom of my tank. The opening was too small for them to exit but we were able to feed them nitrox from our tanks until the CG got there. They had a "jaws of life" kind of thing that worked on surface-supplied air pressure to cut the wheelhouse off the wreck with.

Idiot part was that the puddle pirate had to gear up so I told him since I was already geared up and in the water to just hand me down the grinder and I'd go cut the top off. He told me "I wasn't authorized to operate it cause I wasn't trained on how to use it." LOL Oh. OK then. Well. we'll all just wait on you then.

First thing popped in my mind was that part on "Men of Honor" at the beginning when the winch jammed and the LT told Sunday he'd better not touch that water and if he did he'd be court martialed and Sunday replied "I got a man dying down there, Sir" and he went over anyway.

I think nowadays they remove all the glass and weld the hatches shut on most wrecks that are sunk intentionally. When they sunk the JJF tugs for an artificial reef they cut the whole top of the wheelhouse off so divers couldn't get trapped inside.

Last edited:
Yes, but not for myself.

We had an incident a few years ago where two inexperienced divers went into a wreck. They entered thru an open engine compartment near the rear and then got lost and ended up in the wheel house with no idea how to get back out. A diver surfaced and called the Coast Guard and they said they had a cutter in the area that was about 20 minutes out. Both divers were panicked by this time so they were sucking air and we knew they'd be out of air before 20 minutes. It was a sandy bottom and the only "hard" thing I had was my dive knife and tank (soft weights), and the dive knife was too light for the job. So I took off my BC and turned it around and smashed out the glass of the wheelhouse with the bottom of my tank. The opening was too small for them to exit but we were able to feed them nitrox from our tanks until the CG got there. They had a "jaws of life" kind of thing that worked on surface-supplied air pressure to cut the wheelhouse off the wreck with.

Idiot part was that the puddle pirate had to gear up so I told him since I was already geared up and in the water to just hand me down the grinder and I'd go cut the top off. He told me "I wasn't authorized to operate it cause I wasn't trained on how to use it." LOL Oh. OK then. Well. we'll all just wait on you then.

First thing popped in my mind was that part on "Men of Honor" at the beginning when the winch jammed and the LT told Sunday he'd better not touch that water and if he did he'd be court martialed and Sunday replied "I got a man dying down there, Sir" and he went over anyway.

I think nowadays they remove all the glass and weld the hatches shut on most wrecks that are sunk intentionally. When they sunk the JJF tugs for an artificial reef they cut the whole top of the wheelhouse off so divers couldn't get trapped inside.
So, you expected a CG officer to hand you a grinder to take underwater and use to free the trapped diver? And how would it look if you simply cut off your thumb and the trapped diver drowned anyway? I can see why they just don't hand down power tools to just random divers. Considering they were on scene in twenty minutes and successfully rescued the trapped diver, they deserve a lot of credit... not being referred to as "puddle pirates"

By the way, were you trained to use it?

How thin was that glass for you to be able to remove your BCD and knock the glass out with your tank? Not like you can get a lot of momemtum underwater.

Are you sure they removed the top of the JJF wheelhouse? The glass was removed and doors were either welded open or removed, but the tops are still there. I could be mistaken, but I'm 90% certain the tops are there

Surface supplied jaws of life??? Lol, gonna have to search the cutters for one of those...I think I’ll find it next to the 5 gallon bucket of prop wash!

Back
Top Bottom