• A little bit but Imodium cured me

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • A lot but I could still dive

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Ruined my vacation

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin:
No matter what the % is, try to make everyone think that Cozumel is a place where everyone (expecially pod people) get sick. Pass it on.

Rich

Hmmmmm. . . .now your thinking.

chickdiver:
2 trips. 1st trip- spent a week living in the jungle at Nohoch, didn't get sick. 2nd trip- stayed at an all inclusive on Cozumel, and came home with a wicked case of Giardia.....

I think it's a crapshoot.

Surely you didn't mean to say that.... ;^)

Bob3:
I used to spend a month down there every year; ALWAYS got sick if I drank Tecate, even just a single can/bottle, washing the tops had no effect.
For disinfectant purposes, stick with the $1.25/litre rum (bring your own bottle for refills), that way any illness will be self-inflicted. :wink:
Use habaneros, & squeeze lime on everything

Hmmm. OK, but the brewing of beer is of necessity an aseptic process, since bacteria will compete with the yeast and prevent fermentation. If you drink Tecate in the States, does it do the same thing to you?

Squeezing lime on stuff has no effect on bacteria, according to my friends in the medical profession. Neither do peppers.

Hey, but if it works for you, whether real or placebo, then go for it.

In many trips to Cozumel since 1978, I have only gotten significantly sick once, and it was from accidentally consuming water from a very questionable source. Lots of people go to Cozumel, and a few get sick, but the 90% number is way, way high.

I understand that people do get sick here as in other places. Just keep in mind that the very existence of almost everyone on this island depends on tourism. It is the core of our economy and it afffects everyone here whether it be dive operators, hotels, or even the electricians and plumbers.

Restaurants, hotels, and service providers in general here do everything they can to make your visit safe, healthy and pleasant. Restaurants use purified water (and/or treated water) for cleaning fruits and vegetables and to serve for drinking. Even the locals don't drink the tap water or use it to wash vegetables.

Here are a few tips to help keep you from getting a case of "montezuma's revenge"

Do not drink tap water
Use purified water to brush your teeth (unless the otel says it's ok to drink the tap water)
Eat at restaurants rather than street vendors
Drink lots of fluids
Keep your hands clean

Cozumel is 3rd world in many respects, but it is not as primitive as some may think. Take proper precautions and you should be fine!

Have fun!

Been there 12-15 times over the years and never had a problem that did not go away in a day or so. Often the problem is dehydration and too much tequila and beer which will bring on stomach problems every time.

My only illness fear is from breathing reciruclated air on the plane, and picking up airborn bugs there. I'm going to start wearing medical masks on planes; just gotta remember to not put the mask on until after I clear security screening and board the plane.

don :jump013:

Long before I ever learned to dive, I had a near ill experience in Nogales, but it had nothing to do with the food. Tequila can get you pretty sick if you partake of too much. :)

DandyDon:
My only illness fear is from breathing reciruclated air on the plane, and picking up airborn bugs there. I'm going to start wearing medical masks on planes; just gotta remember to not put the mask on until after I clear security screening and board the plane.

don :jump013:
A Med mask won't help. It's not going to screen any bacteria or virus from the air you pull in. The Masks used in surgery are mainly their to protect the patient from more macro things like saliva fetc fromt he operating personel.

My first 2 trips to Mexico, I got very sick. It lasted one day, each time, thank you Immodium!

The first time was due to eating & drinking in a small out of the way place, let me repeat...drinking. The 2nd time, I got sick at the Fiesta Americana in Coz. I am 100% sure it was a self inflicted-tequila related illness.

Keep in mind that many times on vacation, you are eating rich food & drinking more than you do back home. It can be a shock to your digestive track.

Moderation is key.

Kat:
My first 2 trips to Mexico, I got very sick. It lasted one day, each time, thank you Immodium!

The first time was due to eating & drinking in a small out of the way place, let me repeat...drinking. The 2nd time, I got sick at the Fiesta Americana in Coz. I am 100% sure it was a self inflicted-tequila related illness.

Keep in mind that many times on vacation, you are eating rich food & drinking more than you do back home. It can be a shock to your digestive track.

Moderation is key.

Amen. I made a pact with myself some years back to never again imbibe to the point where I am wasting precious vacation time suffering from a hangover.

One point - be careful with that Immodium. If what you've got is digestive system irritation due to overindulgence, then yes, Immodium is the ticket. If what you have, however, is an invasion by microfauna, then (so I am told) Immodium can actually make you sicker in the long run by suppressing your body's very understandable impulse to flush your system in an effort to expel the invaders. I would first attempt to treat the condition with less drastic measures such as Pepto for a day or so before resorting to Immodium.

Back
Top Bottom