Have LED's passed HID's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I was pointed in that direction (mb-sub-vb50) as well and I see the forums were inundated with the MB-SUB VB50 about a year+ ago for a month or so but not much regarding them since...

Hello Lee,

what do you want to read in the forums about our VB-CAVE?
I think its all written what you can write about it.
I like it when our clients use our VB-CAVE, then they dont need dispensable discussions about dive lights :blinking:

Michael

Last edited:
The video on this website is very misleading. For 1, the exposure of the camera is NOT set to AUTO. The metering method, my guess, is center weighted average. You can see as light move away from center, the hot spot gets brigher. So within each video, the exposure is changing, not to mention between videod. With this method, ALL light look the same because the camera compensate the exposure.

The only valid point out of these video is the beam pattern, nothing else.

Hi,

there is a nice comparison on this page, sorry for the language but you'll manage..

TillyTec - ein einzigartiges Lampensystem - Video-Vergleich

Select HID45 on one side, LED4500 (that's what I just bought..) on the other side, and press the button in the middle.

And in reality? It's a lot of light for about 2h!!!!

The video on this website is very misleading. For 1, the exposure of the camera is NOT set to AUTO. The metering method, my guess, is center weighted average. You can see as light move away from center, the hot spot gets brigher. So within each video, the exposure is changing, not to mention between videod. With this method, ALL light look the same because the camera compensate the exposure.

The only valid point out of these video is the beam pattern, nothing else.
Even the beam pattern could be misleading, with a bright center hotspot, the spill will get darkened to a point that it looks like a spotlight.

Hello Lee,

what do you want to read in the forums about our VB-CAVE?
I think its all written what you can write about it.
I like it when our clients use our VB-CAVE, then they dont need dispensable discussions about dive lights :blinking:

Michael

Michael,

I want to read honest unbiased opinions... I read where a year or so ago you had several folks saying this light (VB-Cave) was the best thing since sliced bread... Since the last posting on the thread posted below dated June 10, 2010 I have found very little regarding your LED light... And even in this thread MB-SUB VB50 Cave review - Page 2, nothing has been posted since Jan 2011... and I have found very little else...

Post 31 and 32 MB-SUB VB50 Cave review - Page 2

Per Goldigger... Re: MB-SUB VB50 Cave review
Hi Michael,
Have i done enough advertizing for you now?

followed by lucca brassi
No Goldigger , Now you have to update Scubaboard , DirExplorers , DecoStop , Cave Divers, Rebreather's World , yorkshire-divers , Taucher's Net ,

I am sure it was all in fun but I am looking for someone who might have experience with the VB-Cave or very good LED to compare to the HID... I am not looking for a salesman nor a Cheerleader... just someone without an agenda who could express their experience...! That, Michael is what I would like!!!

Respectfully, lee

I have the LM21 watt LED and my primary dive buddy has a Halcyon 18w HID. My light shines more white/blue and his more yellow. Mine is a broader spray, his is more narrow. In silty viz, his seems to "punch" through better and illuminate more, further away. That said, I don't worry about my light head at all. If I forget to clip it down and it falls off the diveboat bench - no harm, no foul. Silt seems to be the primary place where the HID outperforms my light. Even then, the peace of mind knowing that my light is durable and still very bright makes me feel like I have the right tool for me.

Here's a very recent thread on rebreatherworld talking about LED's verus HID with some people who really seem to like the MB Sub:

HID vs LED? - Page 3 - Rebreather World

Michael,

I want to read honest unbiased opinions... I read where a year or so ago you had several folks saying this light (VB-Cave) was the best thing since sliced bread... Since the last posting on the thread posted below dated June 10, 2010 I have found very little regarding your LED light... And even in this thread MB-SUB VB50 Cave review - Page 2, nothing has been posted since Jan 2011... and I have found very little else...

Post 31 and 32 MB-SUB VB50 Cave review - Page 2

Per Goldigger... Re: MB-SUB VB50 Cave review
Hi Michael,
Have i done enough advertizing for you now?

followed by lucca brassi
No Goldigger , Now you have to update Scubaboard , DirExplorers , DecoStop , Cave Divers, Rebreather's World , yorkshire-divers , Taucher's Net ,

I am sure it was all in fun but I am looking for someone who might have experience with the VB-Cave or very good LED to compare to the HID... I am not looking for a salesman nor a Cheerleader... just someone without an agenda who could express their experience...! That, Michael is what I would like!!!

Respectfully, lee

formula1mb@aol.com, thanks for posting the link... And thanks to the others who have chimed in as well... All of the feedback is appreciated and being looked into...!!!

lee

@ Isorenson

I build , test and dive my own lights , I don't possess other lights ( except backups ) . Because I build some lights try to good as possible with different technology (halogen/LED/HID) , different optics. I know problems that I have with designing , electronics , choosing material ..... maybe in different view as end user which come to shoop and want to buy best light. Normaly I say here on light forums my own concerns.
I also collect useful things and SHARE them with other divers which is collected in my signiture ''DIVE LIGHTING LIBRARY

I'm not fun of some manufacturers , but I see what have good solution and what is only market bait . If I possess MB VB50 ( I'll change 5-6 things to made better light --FOR me ;-)

And finally we have distance ;-)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/391645-next-step-perfect-led-system-2.html#post6011421

Well , IMO step forward in perfect LED system should be canister with these batteries , Halcyon style lid (simple inspection of batteries , secure plugs , high quality connectors ), battery pack configured so that it could use smart charger balancers connectors ( battery tank without this is stupidity) and temperature feedback, .... there is a lot of other details which must be checked . But in that way - not in sealed caister IMO

I see, you are one this guys, who don´t know the difference between the normal used Lithium-Cobalt and Lithium Manganese batteries.
Lithium Mangenese batteries dont need any balancer electronic and temperature control because these cells are shure and the voltage of these cells do not diverge in a package of serial or/and parallel connection. The same advantage applies to the Lithium-Iron batteries, but the capacity of these cells is too low and the price too high.

These cells are allowed to use in enclosure housings, because they can not produce hydrogen gas.

sorry, but from you I would have expected a more substantial contribution.

Michael

Well it is highly commendable that someone that might be your costumer someday adressing by ''DORK''. Readers can of course take that in account at taking decision to buy and later to service product if needed they'll know producer response.

Your company just shout on all mouth we have best Li Mn batterieas just no worry we have under controll all...bla , bla and all others are just DORKS, but yours company is not capable to produce ANY real safety document for these secondary type of bateries , not to mention on light as product.

Yes safety papers it just belongs to battery supplier and the most simple things is to attach suplier document of compliance of product , even you are responisble for whole product which you sell.

Sorry I'm just ''tech'' orientated guy which cares on details and I 'm not excited on marketing baloons without black on white.

So I have to search and chechk myself some papers learn something about LiMn chemistry process . ....
But from first look from maxwell sheets it is not all so simple ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know problems with manufacturers and if you tell something opposite you are on black list , but who cares...

like ''Barbarin '' from former ''Barbolight '' in Spain on me @ candlepowerforums

or ''Packorse '' (which is really , really good and have a lot of experience ) against UTD @ rebreathersworld or candlepowerforums.....

Last edited:
Well, ignoring everything that was said previously, because I disagree with most of it...
The Light Monkey HID and LED are the best lights on the market. They have great customer service and are well built. The 12w LED is the coolest light I've seen for under $800. But, if we're talking in the 21w Range here's what I think. And I've owned them all.

The 21w LED is a beast. It works great, it is very bright, and it's durable. BECAUSE it's single bulb LED, it is focused to punch through the darkness, an issue that multiple bulb LED's cannot seem to get around. The 21w Light Monkey LED is almost the same as the 21w HID Light Monkey. You will not get this "punch" out of a multibulb LED. You just can't focus multiple bulbs into a single light saber beam.

I am an HID fan. I currently own and use a 12w LED for teaching cave, and for fun dives I use a 35w HID. A year ago you would have never convinced me that LED would catch HID in performance (in durability yes, but not performance). Today, I know that it's only a matter of a short time when LED will offer everything HID offers. If you are buying in the 21w range. The LED is a bear, and hard to break. The HID is focusable, and just a tad more punch, but bulbs are expensive if you are a clutz.

Also... the Hollis light is made by..... yup, Light Monkey.

@ superlyte ... you are almost completly wrong

The Light Monkey HID and LED are the best lights on the market. They have great customer service and are well built. The 12w LED is the coolest light I've seen for under $800. But, if we're talking in the 21w Range here's what I think. And I've owned them all.

OK Agree

The 21w LED is a beast. It works great, it is very bright, and it's durable. BECAUSE it's single bulb LED, it is focused to punch through the darkness, an issue that multiple bulb LED's cannot seem to get around. The 21w Light Monkey LED is almost the same as the 21w HID Light Monkey.

DISAGREE !

OSRAM OSTAR 6 die (21W)
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/54240.pdf
ostar.jpg
OSRAM OSTAR 4 die (18W)
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/54240.pdf
ostar_e2a_640.jpg

Is that looks to you as single bulb? At leds we have emiters not bulbs BTW ! Single emiter leds have normaly power arround max ,
5W
, all other are SQUARE clusters which have ( (N) DIODES in SERIES x (N) rows PARALELL) like

200209_Luminus_SST-90.jpg

You will not get this "punch" out of a multibulb LED. You just can't focus multiple bulbs into a single light saber beam

oh not at all ;-)))) this is 15W led (cluster not single )

beam.jpg
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?282184-SST-50-homemade-spotlight

find yourself diving lamp with beam at arround 3° for homework , I made mine with 7,5° ( photo in my galery ) but I like a little wider (btw: at daylight dive at low visebility I didn't see my buddy 18W H HID) from 3m (cca 30cm square spot)

I am an HID fan. I currently own and use a 12w LED for teaching cave, and for fun dives I use a 35w HID.

No problem I like them too !
But there is problem of spare parts (with exception of automotive D2S HID arround 35W ) If bulb cost 30€ for 700hours... no problem ; but I pay for 24W HID I have cca 75€ + PP from Germany !!!and problem is if they have bulb ?!!( because I have build HID but factory (Brightstar have closed production of my bulb with specific base ... and I have to rebuild whole light ) So If i made new HID light will be that for sure with automotive bulb 35W .... just because of cost and aveability of bulb.

Also... the Hollis light is made by..... yup, Light Monkey.

Oh ot be so blinded ;-)) ...... they have some great ideas and implementation them to the final product.

But they have also some fails.....just check web a little arround ... but as you said they have for sure great service to repair problems.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom