have anyone ordered equipment from Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow DiveYak that might be the best news to me yet. So i have been trying to get the number for my chamber of commerce in Ishikawa and have not been able to locate them yet. I'll wait till after the new year and get to the bottom of this. The trouble with where I live (and possibly Japan) no one knows anything and therefore must go and ask about 20 other people. By then they realize that I am a foreigner so they get so flustered and nervous that communication is rendered impossible.

This is slightly off-topic for this thread, but with so many of you in Japan reading it, I hoped you might have some good ideas for me.

I'm considering trying to purchase a wetsuit from Japan to ship to the US, since the westuits by Mobby's, Tusa, and Scubapro that are sold there are much more colorful and interesting than the black ones available here. Does anyone know of a retailer there in Japan who will ship to the US?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for hijacking your thread!

JustJules - Sure, Scubapro wetsuits in Japan come in all the pretty colours you can think but do you really want to pay the price tag? I reckon the suits here will easily set you back twice the price of in the US. Also, there may be some sizing issues as the off-the-peg sizes here may be inappropriate for the western shape (or lack of it). Then there is the added factor that all the Japanese online retailers I know of only have Japanese language websites. When you consider all this, Black seems really quite attractive, yeah? My advice is not to worry too much about the colour and concentrate on the fit and the only way to do that properly is to try it on first!

rjeudi - hehe good luck with getting information from your local government. I don't think I have the patience necessary to tackle it myself, so will just ask a Japanese friend to do it for me. A cop out I know but I also know just how frustrating these 'little' tasks can be here. I'll let you know if I can find out anything else.

D

just jules, if you want colors get a custom wetsuit in the US. you will have a wide variety of color choices at very reasonable prices. unfortunately, i am at work and don't have the links here but i found a couple of custom places through sb with a good selection.

Hi everyone,

So I've done it. I bought everything. After months of researching and reading this board i ordered my 1st SCUBA set. I bought the following from AMS in Osaka all for ¥150,000 (about 14000 U.S.) with Manufacturer's warranty.

Mares vector 1000
Sunto vyper
MK25/G250
Aqualung Sheltey 3 gauge (not sure if they sell that model anywhere else but Japan)

There was no point of buying it over seas and risk paying import fees since AMS prices were comparable to LP or Dive inn.

I am still trying to get to the bottom of this duty fee thing and have got a friend who works in customs looking it up for me. I'll keep you posted. In the mean time i am going to get acquainted w/my new toys, especially the vyper, and get ready for my 6-day Thailand liveaboard coming up in two weeks.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice,

Hi, rjeudi! (And everyone!)

Nice to know you found your stuff in Japan at a reasonable price. I'm just starting that quest myself. Got certified in Izu last September..... now eternally wounded by the scuba bug! I live up in Yamanashi prefecture, and am wondering the best way to start collecting gear. I've had half of my life shipped here from the States, and buy tons of things online, but I'm glad to get a heads-up about dive gear import fees. I'm wondering whether or not having family buy and ship for me might help me avoid import penalties (as opposed to having stuff shipped directly from a shop)? Anyone have experience with that? The prices here seem soooo steep. Either that, or the shops I've been checking with only carry the highest-end gear (and I'm definitely what you call a budget diver....) :cheeky: At any rate, I'd prefer to find a good source in Japan, so thanks for the thread!

Cheers!

Joel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom