have anyone ordered equipment from Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you taken a look through Yahoo Japan Auction? It's like eBay in the states...except used gear is really cheap!! I've just taken a peek and have seen some unreal deals.

If you check out this http://www.apectariff.org/tdb.cgi/ff3235/apecfind.cgi?JP+9506 you'll notice that water sports goods are free of import tariffs. Therefore you should only have to pay the 5% consumption tax. I can't possibly see what other catergory or chapter SCUBA gear would fit into? (you can check for yourself here: http://www.apectariff.org/tdb.cgi/ff3235/apeccgi.cgi?JP) I'm sure that if you had "water sports equipment" written on the customs declaration there'd be no problem.

Ifukuda, I've checked that Yahoo Japan Auction page and it seems like a major rip off to me. Used gear selling for the same price as new gear from LP etc! New gear seemed to be around twice as expensive as LP! My Japanese isn't that good though so maybe I'm missing something. Could you let me know the specifics of some of the bargins you've found?

Morty

As someone who has imported more than his share of scuba gear to Japan- must gear will fall under the heading "watersports equipment" and come in duty free if you have a good customs broker. Neoprene will not for the most part and have seen BC's get labeled as "inflatables" or other products with duty. Gadgets and things have been labeled a variety of different things and have been hit with a duty of 3-6%. I have also brought regulators in as "gas control valves" duty free, clips were "mechanical fasteners" among other things to avoid duty. As with many things in Japan it depends who is working that day and how close they inspect the package. Most of the big companies; FedEx etc, can get smaller shipments for personel gear through without duty buts its sometimes hit or miss.

Thanks for the handy info Japan Diver!

Also, Wow! That AMS store does have pretty good prices on their packs. About the same price as LP as far as I can tell. Only problem is there's no pack featuring BI BC's as far as I can tell. Also you may as well forget about anything remotely technical.

BI and tech style gear not very popular in Japan right now. I do quite a bit of tech stuff down here in Okinawa and can probably help out in that area. PM sent.

nori1841:
Diveyak, pls let me know shipping charges to Japan on Scubastore.

If you go to the Scubastore site and add the item to your basket, as long as the item is under 100kg, it will automatically show you the shipping charges. If it's over 100kg they will e-mail you with the shipping price for confirmation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom