Hauling Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,
Well, I made the giant leap and purchased my scuba gear. I'm totally jazzed and can't wait to get in the water!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on gear bags, methods of hauling all the gear, etc.?

I'm a strong lady.....but 24 lbs integrated weight in the BC + 80 alum. tank = heavy & ouch!

Looking for any solutions and/or suggestions. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Wal-Mart is your friend. Look for Rubbermaid Bins. Big huge honkers, about $15.

Unless you're going on a boat, they'll hold all your sandy nasty cruddy stuff and keep the water out of your vehicle until you get it home.

Take the weight out of the BC. Rinse the BC carefully. Put the weights in a separate pail, milkcrate, or whatever - handle separately. The tank(s) can go in a bin.

Bins don't do well on boats, they take up too much deckspace and seldom fit under the seats, but for vehicles and shore diving they rock. For diving off boats, you'll need a large mesh bag.

In terms of logistics, dunno what your situation is, but I live in an apartment, the van is in the underground garage 4 floors down. I use something like this:
http://www.cartsandhandtrucks.com/convertible_hand_trucks.html

It carries coolers, bins full of tanks and gear, tool boxes, and duffle bags of clothes and other equipment for various adventures. Rolls from (apartment) door to (van) door, and fits in the elevator. Saves my back and makes it all possible.

Just one option. Enjoy diving and welcome to Scuba Board.

Doc

Ditto on the bins, I found that two smaller ones work better then one larger one.

If you have a long way to walk a folding handtruck works nicely.

Lexy:
Hi Everyone,
Well, I made the giant leap and purchased my scuba gear. I'm totally jazzed and can't wait to get in the water!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on gear bags, methods of hauling all the gear, etc.?

I'm a strong lady.....but 24 lbs integrated weight in the BC + 80 alum. tank = heavy & ouch!

Looking for any solutions and/or suggestions. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

OCal diver, I see.

You can live out of the bins for local Shore diving. You're gonna want a wheel bag if you're going to be doing much boat diving in SoCal.

There are lots. I hate mesh bags. I also hate bags that don't roll, or bags that don't stand when full. That narrows it way down. Remember to take your weight pockets OUT of your BC when storing and transporting.

Can you shoulder your tank? Can you carry it by the valve while rolling your bag? Nothing beats one trip to from the car to the boat.

Strong chicks rule. :wink:

---
Ken

Come travel time.....get you a nondescript duffle like bag. Not one with scuba logos all over it telling those that steal your bag is the one they want.

I use a bp and wing and it fits easily into a carry on bag so it and my regs and my computer are on the plane with me. The rest is in my suit case.
rich

put the tank on the BC and back pack it on the boat and have you bag filled withall you gear and back up.. plus most boats you place you tank and bc in you spot when you first get on... make shure u know what boat you going on and what size bag you can bring :)

for beach diving all hail the plastic tubs of goodness

Stanley makes a "tool box" on wheels that I just bought this spring. I can put everything but my full 5mm wetsuit in it. I put the suit in a bag and strap the wet suit to the top. If you really wanted to I think you could strap a tank to the top and go from there.
I tried searching for the box but couldn't find it but I got mine at Lowes and I know the Home Depot and Menards carries them.

I am not a big burly guy and can load the box, minus lead, with no problem. I put the lead in a small canvas bag that I got from the hardware store, go figure.

Wouldn't even want to think about taking this on a boat but since it can be locked you could travel with it. Don't know what it would do in sand but it works great in small rocks at the quary.

I have been thinking about about doing the toolbox on wheels thing too. There was a thread about it some time ago with MANY enthusiastic supporters. sounds good to me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom