Hatteras Trip Report 5/3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We were able to get one day of diving in this weekend and it was the first of the year in the big pool.

Short story-This year has been a difficult year for me. The last 2.5 months I have been dealing with 2 broken wrist, 6 weeks apart. I have limited motion in both wrist now and have moved to sidemount for ease of valve use. However diving off a boat is way different than walking into the water and mounting them and something I have to learn now.

Sea state off Hatteras on thursday was 11', so the weekend was iffy. Saturday cancelled but sunday was on. Fast forward to Sunday. I plan on a solo dive on the Dixie Arrow while trying out Kates (Her and our buddy Patrick was completing their AN/D class) new scooter in SM. So I let everyone jump in before me, so as to not hold anyone up while I try to figure this out. I jump in with my left bottle attached and clip the right bottle to a down line. After attempting to fully clip my top and bottom clips in and failing (wrist are not cooperating). I grab the LP85 by the first stage and head to the sand. It took me a couple minutes to figure out how to manipulate my wrist into snapping the bottom clips into the rail but after that, I was off to explore my favorite wreck. With both wrist in braces, my 5 mil wet suit was a little light for 65 degree water. I would have worn my semi dry or drysuit but can't seal the wrist, so I froze! After about 15 min my right wrist was in pain and not digging the scooter but I toughed out a 30 min bottom time and had a fun dive regardless. I sat out the second dive due to thermal protection, I am a cold water woosee.

Visability was about 40' and a dirty green/brown, unlike the normal blue the gulf stream draws in. This Aleutian current is ugly by comparison. On the bow of the DA was a dozen medium sized sandys and a metric sheit ton of big fat triggers all over the wreck, if I only had a gun! The Goliath Grouper has moved on and was no where to be found. There were several turtles both large and small that were loving on the new bubble blowing dive companions....literally. Kates instructor had one try to kiss him.

Overall it was a great weekend on the water with friends, after 8 months of surface interval. We are looking forward to diving NC a bunch this season.

Last edited:
Randy,
Thanx for the report and glad to hear you are mending. I left the doc's office today after a post op check up on my elbow nerve release. prognosis was good, but the word is out of the water till the second week in June...... That scuttles my time planned in you back yard, but the O.C. trips after the 14th of June are a go!
Eric

Nice trip review Randy. As always, thanks to you and Kate for partnering up with me and for making the trip fun. Best of all, it was good seeing you in the water again after the wrist injuries.

Randy, please take care when diving at less then your normal strength level. As you wrote it can make even simple stuff very tuff, then tuff stuff impossible and you can be in trouble fast. Make adjustments, carry minimum gear and don't hesitate to sit one out like you did, that was smart diving. Hate to see you take a set back and not get to dive rest of the season.

It it was long cold vicious winter and that green VB goo water got pretty far down the coast. It's taking awhile to clear. The deep offshore is already in way better shape, but not 3mil suit warm yet for me. It will turn around next several weeks and Hatteras Blue will be back.

Thanks Dave and I totally understand. I am in this for the long run!

I was within my safety/comfort level the entire time and had been in the little pool working on everything for several days before even thinking about jumping in the big pool. Had I not been able to complete all the necessary skills to make it back safely, I can gaurentee you, I would not have dove.

I am diving every weekend just to get experience with all the new kit and get new muscle memory in place. Slow and steady pace. wins the race this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom