Has anyone tried this for jellyfish protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I came across this product and was wondering if anyone has ever tried this stuff.

It is called Safe Sea lotion. Apparently it is supposed to protect against "jellyfish" type stings and there is a version with sun block.

Any comments or reviews from those who have tried it would be much appreciated.

http://www.buysafesea.com

Hi ozziworld,

You may find the following article to be informative:

Getting Nailed by Jellies: Undercurrent 09/2003

The blog linked by similandiver in his post immediately above opines that some box-type jellyfish, and particularly Chironex species, which can be responsible for nasty stings, indeed, may remain problematic as regards Safe Sea. In this regard, I don’t believe that the makers of Safe Sea or experts in the field of marine envenomations would take issue with this position or suggest that the use this cream obviates the prudence of wearing protective clothing (see  BioOne Online Journals - Comparison of Eight Types of Protective Clothing against Irukandji Jellyfish Stings), the deployment of suitable netting (although this measure has obvious limitations for SCUBA as it can hardly be placed at every dive site where box-type jellyfish species may exist) and the posting of appropriate signage and education.

It seems to me just common sense that where potentially fatal envenomations can and do occur, the more precautions the better. Therefore, I don’t see why any responsible professional would urge refrain from marketing or using Safe Sea as long the product is not erroneously promoted as or understood by the consumer as an absolute preventative for all jellyfish stings.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

I agree that common sense still needs to be applied. There are just some instances where this sort of product can be used in conjunction with other precautions.

It was just that with the sun block properties along with some extra protection against stings sounds like a plus not a guarantee.

When I posted the original question. I was not even aware that the product had been around that long. I guess for the diver in general, exposure suits are the norm anyway. For the occasional snorkeler beach vacationer, this may be worth a look I guess.

I don't know about this product but one thing I learned in The Sea of Cortez is never go snorkeling in the dark without flashlight and a skin.
I suffered a terrible sting on my arm but don't know what did it because it was dark. All I know is on theta trip I saw tons of jellies of many types and was getting mild stings on the face on many of our dives.
That sucker put a welt across my arm three inches long and took months to heal! When it stung it was like sticking my hand in a light socket. It took my breath away. I can imagine it could incite some serious panic in someone diving!
I use some stuff called Cactus Juice for my body to protect against no-seems and sea lice. It has 20SPF. My husband became a true believer this past trip to Bonaire when the bugs were bad. Plus, smells nice and moisturizes the skin, unlike DEET!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom