Has anyone tried the new UK C8 eLed PLUS?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Sport Diver:

The technological breakthrough behind the C8 eLED Plus is its through-the-lens heat sink: for every one-degree drop in temperature, the light increases its lumen output by 2 percent. When immersed in water the heat is drained from the LEDs and improves the lumen rating of the unit by 10 to 15 percent. Offering more than twice the output of its predecessor (a maximum of 170 lumens), the C8 eLED Plus weighs in at a mere 39 ounces, runs up to ten hours, and is depth rated to 500 feet.

So super-roughly 96 - 101 lumens sustained (with a corresponding 10-15% decrease in battery life?)......

Rob

100 lumen vs 470 or some such for the light cannon. Seems like the light cannon would be significantly brighter. I wish the HID bulb was more shock resistant.

Do these both use the same rechargeable battery? Or are they different sizes/ configurations?

I didn't choose the light cannon because of what I've seen from other's who dive them. Expensive and touchy. Just my $0.02 :)

jeckyll:
I didn't choose the light cannon because of what I've seen from other's who dive them. Expensive and touchy. Just my $0.02 :)
I'll admit that they're a bit touchy at times, but with good batteries there shouldn't be much problem. Mine has taken drops that have killed halogen bulbs, and is still fine, so a normal amount of care should suffice. Yes, the LED light will be tougher still, and the battery will last longer, but with rechargeables, who cares, as long as it lasts through the dive. And you know what? The incredible light output of the light canon pretty much trumps all the other concerns. At least until I can afford a can light...

Hey jeckyll, I noticed in your profile it says saving for a can light. Why buy the LED that's just gonna sit on the shelf once you get a can light? I've been diving a D8 for a few years now, and the canlight is sitting at the shop until I go pick it up.

As far as the light cannon is concerned, I prefer my D8. More light, just bulkier. Having the ability to flick it on and off, go to a lower wattage to save batteries...

Save up and get the can light.

bcsean: Well first off, I need something asap as I was heading over to dive the Cape Bretton a couple days after I killed my other c8 eled. (if you read in the thread, somewhere I posed about choosing the eled+ and really liking it).

I'm eventually going to get a salvo (especially now that we have someone locally who carries them) but that wasn't in the cards at the time.

Also, I like the idea of having a tough light kicking around my gearbag. All the guys I dive with with can lights have to keep spares for when their can lights are 'getting serviced' which seems to be frequently. :wink:

ChrisA:
UK Lights have lifetime warenty. If it floods send it back to UK.

I actually went and dug out my warranty. Seems that all the parts are covered. Now I just need to figure out if it's worth the international shipping to send the stuff back...

:)

Thanks for the tip

Bjorn

bcsean:
Hey jeckyll, I noticed in your profile it says saving for a can light. Why buy the LED that's just gonna sit on the shelf once you get a can light? I've been diving a D8 for a few years now, and the canlight is sitting at the shop until I go pick it up.

As far as the light cannon is concerned, I prefer my D8. More light, just bulkier. Having the ability to flick it on and off, go to a lower wattage to save batteries...

Save up and get the can light.

How do you figure that the D8 is more light than the Light Cannon?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom