Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have documentation on what is considered a recall with Hydros? In particular the straps? I raised this with the Canadian distributor a while back and was told there was nothing wrong with them (despite the reports on here to the contrary)...

My experience is that the Hydros is very divable if you can keep it mostly empty - in warm water with optimized weighting this is not too difficult. The trick I figured out for the bungees (after doing my first 3 dives on my side...) is to dump it completely on entry and then during descent reach back to the bottom corners with both hands and make sure the folds are symmetrical and give them both a quick tug down. This always seemed to align everything and keep things balanced. I do find that the bottom dump valve while slightly inverted is the only reliable way to empty all the air the other ones are hit and miss unless you make a conscious effort to move the bubble to the right place before using them. All in all I like it (moreso now that I've switched to the travel straps) but it has its quirks.

They are selling it as a 'premium' product. Not noticing the bungee issue during the product development phase is completely inexcusable.

Do the new hydros pro come stock with the modified bungees?

@MELISSA JONES, BCDs that were made after February, 2018 have the modified backplate, bungees and shoulder straps. The full description can be found here:

Scubapro Hydros Pro Updates - 2018 | Orpheus Dive

You have to be careful when buying these because the older revisions are still in stock in various warehouses. Just check before you buy - the bottom bungee is fully locked and the middle bungee is locked but has a bit of play from side to side. The top bungee is still mobile.

Does anyone have documentation on what is considered a recall with Hydros? In particular the straps? I raised this with the Canadian distributor a while back and was told there was nothing wrong with them (despite the reports on here to the contrary)...

My experience is that the Hydros is very divable if you can keep it mostly empty - in warm water with optimized weighting this is not too difficult. The trick I figured out for the bungees (after doing my first 3 dives on my side...) is to dump it completely on entry and then during descent reach back to the bottom corners with both hands and make sure the folds are symmetrical and give them both a quick tug down. This always seemed to align everything and keep things balanced. I do find that the bottom dump valve while slightly inverted is the only reliable way to empty all the air the other ones are hit and miss unless you make a conscious effort to move the bubble to the right place before using them. All in all I like it (moreso now that I've switched to the travel straps) but it has its quirks.

They are selling it as a 'premium' product. Not noticing the bungee issue during the product development phase is completely inexcusable.

Mike there is no documentation that I'm aware of, but when I sent mine in to get the bungees fixed they said they would fix the shoulder straps as well without my having to ask for that. Based on other posts here, it seems that you can get your shoulder straps fixed by sending it into the distributor. You might want to call Scubapro regarding the strap question. I agree, I have not been impressed with this BCD. I'm much happier now that everything has been replaced.

(SNIP) I agree, I have not been impressed with this BCD. I'm much happier now that everything has been replaced.

If everything had been done before you bought this bcd, would you have been happy with it from the beginning?

Guys, I know this topic has been discussed multiple times but I need a confirmation from the owners of the Hydros Pro Rev. 3. I'm in the process of buying one of these. My local dive store owner says the versions they have in stock are Rev. 3 but I have checked them and only the bottom bungee cord is fixed in the backplate. I could even see a metal clip holding it in place on the backplate. I couldn’t move the bottom bungee from left to right. However, the middle and top bungees are mobile and I can pull them from one side to the other. My understanding so far is that, for Rev. 3, the 2 bottom bungees should be both blocked, right? So the version I have seen in the dive store appears to be an older version.

It would be great if someone could confirm. Thanks a lot!

Guys, I know this topic has been discussed multiple times but I need a confirmation from the owners of the Hydros Pro Rev. 3. I'm in the process of buying one of these. My local dive store owner says the versions they have in stock are Rev. 3 but I have checked them and only the bottom bungee cord is fixed in the backplate. I could even see a metal clip holding it in place on the backplate. I couldn’t move the bottom bungee from left to right. However, the middle and top bungees are mobile and I can pull them from one side to the other. My understanding so far is that, for Rev. 3, the 2 bottom bungees should be both blocked, right? So the version I have seen in the dive store appears to be an older version.

That is correct. I would also look at the manufacture date on the 3x3 white "label" tucked behind one of the rear trim pockets. Anything prior to Feb 2018 is for sure NOT gen 3.

That is correct. I would also look at the manufacture date on the 3x3 white "label" tucked behind one of the rear trim pockets. Anything prior to Feb 2018 is for sure NOT gen 3.
This is good to know, definitely haven't been a fan of some of that part of scubapro that you can't really tell which one you are buying in the store sometimes since they don't do anything drastic with their products for revisions (like renaming or adding hydros 2 or something to denote it has been "fixed" in some way).

The lowest bungee does not move at all. The middle bungee moves about an inch to both sides but it is locked. The upper bungee moves freely.

Trust me, I bought and returned my Hydros thinking that I had the older version but it was in fact the Rev.3
Like you, I thought that the middle bungee was supposed to be completely locked like the lowest bungee but that is not the case. I can remove the back plate and take a picture if you want to see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom