Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone else had issues with the monprene on the inner portion of the integrated weight pockets ripping where the nylon webbing passes underneath them? Mine is just starting to tear a little bit on both sides. A buddy of mine has more substantial tears in his. It's not "structural" as far as I can tell, since the nylon is taking the weight. But for what I paid for it, I would have preferred it to be of beefier construction.

I lost a weight pocket yesterday (not while diving), damn those replacements are expensive. Luckily a DM sold me one had found a while back for $25.

Has anyone else had issues with the monprene on the inner portion of the integrated weight pockets ripping where the nylon webbing passes underneath them? Mine is just starting to tear a little bit on both sides. A buddy of mine has more substantial tears in his. It's not "structural" as far as I can tell, since the nylon is taking the weight. But for what I paid for it, I would have preferred it to be of beefier construction.
I had that same problem a couple of years ago and replaced the pocket arrangement with new. I suspected it was not being careful enough when taking off the BCD and leaving the weight pockets in, especially when in a rush to deal with customers/students so now the first thing I do is always remove the weights before removing my bcd. I have a 1st generation Hydros Pro and now 5 years old with a lot of use and still going strong although with new weight pocket arrangement and shoulder straps. Latest failure is the middle bungee cord snapped so removed it and using without the middle cord. Don't feel any difference either. Eventually when its time for a new "bcd" I will probably go with a simple wing & backplate and weight pockets as I'm usually overweighted in any cases in case a customer needs a bit extra and the price of the Hyros is getting sillier, even with an instructor discount. I bought the Nina and thigh pockets as well but they died quickly and really a bit useless so use either Apex Tec Shorts or the SP "Tec Shorts, depending on what I am doing and need for the dives unless in drysuit which has large pockets in any case.
I really like the Hydros but the add on bits and pieces in my opinion are "crappy" quality.

I have to buy a bcd in the next few months (6), so I'll wait if something new is launched, otherwise I'll decide between the hydros pro and and atomic bc2.
cheers

I have to buy a bcd in the next few months (6), so I'll wait if something new is launched, otherwise I'll decide between the hydros pro and and atomic bc2.
cheers
Then you’ve 6 months to find a second hand bargain at a fraction of the new price.

A BCD is just a bag of wind with too much marketing attached.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom