Has anyone personally seen hammerhead schools in the Banda Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None seen during my trip, but those who went in August saw a huge one. If I saw it then, I may have uncontrolled blader movement and be ready to put my camera in between me & it.

The DM guide carried a meter long poker stick. We were instructed to stay together during a safety stop and returned to the skiff one at a time. The DM got back to the skiff last.

So I’m not the only one who is scared of them. I’m glad they have protocols in place to try to make it safer.

None seen during my trip, but those who went in August saw a huge one. If I saw it then, I may have uncontrolled blader movement and be ready to put my camera in between me & it.

The DM guide carried a meter long poker stick. We were instructed to stay together during a safety stop and returned to the skiff one at a time. The DM got back to the skiff last.

The camera would make a great appetizer. An amuse-bouche. I think the fins would be the palate cleanser before the main course.

OK, just kidding. Everyone, please be safe. :)

I hope to come back to this post in a year’s time to say that I did and that it was amazing. I’m booked for Ambon to Maumere in October for 11 nights/12 days with Mermaid in 2019, all thanks to @Dan_T and his enabling.

I am booked on the Ambon to Maumere (the previous trip next year) on Mermaid.

- Bill

Wait, what’s your sailing date? Oct 4 2019 or something like that for me.

If you are on Mermaid I, it is going 4 - 15 Oct 2019 Ambon - Maumere (12 days).

We are booked on Mermaid I from 22 Sept - 3 Oct 2019 Maumere - Ambon (12 days). Crazily enough, we are also booked with Dan T (a.k.a. Big Dan) on Blue Manta, also from Maumere to Ambon 9 - 19 Sept. (10 days). Yep, that's two trips with the exact same itinerary in a row! If we don't see schooling hammerheads, we are going to hang up our PADI certs!

- Bill (a.k.a. Beauty Bill) & Emily (a.k.a. Wifey, or "Hey, you")

P.S. Not 100% sure if we can afford this, as it turns out. We *MAY* be looking to sell our Mermaid trip. But we won't know until at least April.

I've seen them from the Blue manta. Depth ranging from 5m to 40m in the banda sea. September is the best time. check out the blue manta videos on FB.

Its all about choosing the correct boats.

I've been looking at the Wallacea boats (Seahorse and Ambai) for the Banda Sea/ROF routes next year - look pretty nice but less expensive than the Mantas (but the Mantas are all booked up anyway! Unless a space opens up on Dan_T's trip!) I am certainly a bit concerned about going on a boat with no experience with the hammers (like Manta) - so if anyone went with them and can comment, that'd be welcomed too! Cheers

And people that I was bad with liveaboards and addicted to them. WOW! So bummed to not have you on our sailing! I hope it works out, both in affordability and seeing the hammies!

- Bill (a.k.a. Beauty Bill)
Jeeze....A maniac hacked the SB account of our regular ugly Bill.

Thinking of doing the 7 Nt Ambon/Banda trip on the Solitude Adventurer from 9-24-19 to 10-1-19.
I see lots of Dive Op. videos showing schooling hammerheads during that time frame - but is there really a high likelihood, or is it more likely a rarity? Also, has anyone been on or heard about this liveaboard?
Thanks!
My hubby is on Indo Siren just heading out into Banda Sea now so will know in a few days if they were successful. I've seen one or 2 before at Nils Desperandum but never the huge schools, as we came through in March and thats not the best time.
Samambaia CD Serge and their guests saw them on his last trip.
The Soilitude Adventurer is a brand new boat launched this year, the owner is Singaporean. The company, Solitude, have been operating in Palau and the Philippines for a number of years now and have just branched into Indonesia, also with a resort in Lembeh (formerly Kasawari). Not sure how much experience their crew have of crossings such as these though so its always a gamble

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom