Has anyone noticed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... It is the keels that scare me.

Absolutely. In bygone years of more balls and no brains, we dove across the boat channel separating Magic Island and Ala Wai boat harbor/Kaiser's surf spot and were treated to the game of dodging sailboat keels (no sound, deep running) suddenly appearing out of the murk while also worrying about not bumping into stingrays while bellying thru the bottom muck.

This is why I don't use a dive flag while shore diving here. This is one of my regular dive buddies that used to bring a flag on most of our dives. The risk just isn't worth it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/125993-dive-flag-marker-buoy.html

This is one of my regular dive buddies that used to bring a flag on most of our dives. The risk just isn't worth it. If I'm on the surface I will just inflate my marker so I'm visiable to any boat trafic that is in the area.

Just a note and I've posted this some place else on the forum some time back but....

I was doing checkout dives and before the dive I set out two dive flags and decided that during the skills portion of the dive I'd keep my students between the two flags. Guess what happened? A jet skier decided to use the flags as racing pylons.

Can't count on anything being completely safe.

I prefer a SMB too.

We have a flag on the boat, but I have never used one otherwise. The best way to avoid DLNR is get on the "phone tree" they don't exactly fly stealth. We just all call each other for them, and the Coast Guard too. The Coast Guard,-- everybody knows in Hawaii Kai when they leave the dock, in town and where they are heading. I might not do it, but they have never helped me and I hold a grudge. I mean, I don't do it if I see the police.
They need to befriend the local boating community, imo, or that is probably the way it will stay.

dodging sailboat keels (no sound, deep running)
lol..and suddenly you sprouted your brains, how did that happen?

Those keels flashing by like a knife, curdle my blood.

We always hear how the DLNR is underfunded and understaffed. I can't believe they're not writing flag tickets all day long. Talk about easy money! I saw at least five different groups either not use a flag or use their flag improperly just today. If it's about $100 a pop, that's pretty good dough. They could get some new uniforms or something. Maybe even pay for a sign at the beach educating divers and boaters about the flags, what they are for, and how to use one. I don't understand why I keep hearing from tourist divers that the shop didn't tell them the flag rule when they rented their tanks. That's more Easy Money for the shop owner.

Just because they rake in $100 for each ticket, doesn't mean that money goes into DLNR coffers. More than likely it gets put into some fund that gets raided by the politicians for everything else.

I do agree with folk though, that a flag means little since most boaters pay little attention to them. Nothing like having boaters practically drive right over your flag!

Just because they rake in $100 for each ticket, doesn't mean that money goes into DLNR coffers. More than likely it gets put into some fund that gets raided by the politicians for everything else.

I do agree with folk though, that a flag means little since most boaters pay little attention to them. Nothing like having boaters practically drive right over your flag!
You're right.

But what goes around comes around. The politicians won't forget which departments brought money in and which just sucked it out when figuring out next year's allocations. They won't get a 100% ROI, but they should get some extra perks if they bring in more than they cost to run... :D

If writing DLNR tickets really was a money-making venture, the state would hire more enforcement officers and do a better job of it.

I like the Coast Guard. It used to be annoying when they showed up, but I've got a different attitude now after they helped get us towed back from Ewa Beach with a broken motor.

If writing DLNR tickets really was a money-making venture, the state would hire more enforcement officers and do a better job of it.

I like the Coast Guard. It used to be annoying when they showed up, but I've got a different attitude now after they helped get us towed back from Ewa Beach with a broken motor.

Really??? Without charging you?? That's the exception not the rule. I've had friends who've gotten boarded in a channel and left to fend for themselves as they drifted onto the leeward side of the channel in a sailboat being told if they were towed to the windward side of the channel after being boarded that they would have to be billed for the service!

Personally, the Coasties attempted to board me in the channel and I told them if they did I was going to anchor. They revised their plan and followed me to where they could board me more safely.

Mind you this is a channel where the wind screams straight down the channel and sailing in is no easy feat. Hard enough to deal with the wind situation and a winding channel. Don't need the Coasties to add to the difficulty while they swab the outside of my boat for explosives, drugs, or whatever! Like I have control of the outside of my boat. You want to pin something on me, swab the inside which has been under lock and key, not the outside which I have no control over!:shakehead:

You're right.

But what goes around comes around. The politicians won't forget which departments brought money in and which just sucked it out when figuring out next year's allocations. They won't get a 100% ROI, but they should get some extra perks if they bring in more than they cost to run... :D

I don't think it works that way. What I find with DLNR is that they are more in the warning and keeping you safe business than in that of writing tickets unless you are a mouthy, punk who challenges their authority. Most are pretty cool and easygoing if you are a reasonably responsible and respectful citizen.:D

Don't need the Coasties

yea, they are sooo helpful. I could go on and on.

It's the head guy, in Honolulu, that sucks, I forget his name, lives on Wailupe Circle. useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom