Question Has anyone here, diving a SF2, added a needle valve (needle valve mav) to their set up? pros and cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enevoldsen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see it as a great way, to use the electronics as safety, parachute. Set point 0.7, run the unit manually at 1.0. I am not diving deep - max 30 meters, as my buddy dives rec. OC, so i do not think it is worth the hassle to fix the IP on my DS4 first stage?

I see it as a great way, to use the electronics as safety, parachute. Set point 0.7, run the unit manually at 1.0. I am not diving deep - max 30 meters, as my buddy dives rec. OC, so i do not think it is worth the hassle to fix the IP on my DS4 first stage?
I generally disagree w the “need” for a hybrid and would rather run an eCCR manually. That said, if you believe in the Paul Raymaker hybrid philosophy and you want to do it, it’s a very easy unit to add a needle (SubGravity, Chris Kennedy, Fathom) to. You probably won’t need to fuss with the needle very often once you find where you want it.

I'm with @grantctobin on this. I have no real love for hybrid units as it has the worst of both worlds. A better way to keep your ppO2 more balanced is to dive with the same gas that you would if you were on OC, mainly EAN32 instead of air, etc. since that will keep you ppO2 higher while descending and limit the need to add O2. While I have a needle valve on my mCCR, I wouldn't be looking to add one to my eCCR and if anything it's better for the solenoid to fire every once in a while so it stays moving vs. staying static and only firing during setup, the whole motion is lotion thing. If you run to 30m with EAN32 like you would on OC then your bottom ppO2 is about what your setpoint is instead of 0.8 like it would be with air so you'll be far better off during most of that dive with EAN32.

If you want to run with the solenoid as a parachute which is what I do on my meg, just set it to parachute ppO2 and you may be surprised as how infrequently you actually have to hit the add button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom